Gas Prices!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gas Prices!!

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:05 am

Our fuel prices are currently $1.45 per litre. Our worst was just over 1.50 It is getting ridiculously expensive to fill up these days.

I thin the most part of the problem is we're running low of oil.

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Jay wrote:I think its more about big oil wanting to get more$$$ ppl struggle to get to work so these
Jerks can get richer!! If it was just a supply prob they would not be getting record profits every year.

yes thats part of the problem. opec to point at. i understand ronda about the need as we also live in the hills here. but what about that rich dude down the street with a 12 cylinder jaguar? does he really need it? its the people who dont need the powerful cars thats a big part of the problem. the middle east has us by the balls.
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:22 pm

I think its more about big oil wanting to get more$$$ ppl struggle to get to work so these
Jerks can get richer!! If it was just a supply prob they would not be getting record profits every year.They don't keep incresing output so they can't say shortage.
And as long as you have a oil tycoon as president not much will change.

Last edited by Jay on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jay
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Well a Tracker wouldn't be bad, but honestly it wouldn't do good with a big family lol. We own a Chevy Blazer, and trust me, if you don't have 4 wheel drive you can't get up here on some days lol. The mud gets really bad and driving up the hill when it's icy there just is no way lol The road to our house the Blazer is almost pointing up lol. There are friends who have tried to come visit along with family actually and we have had to drive down and get them cause their cars wouldn't make it up. I agree with you, but trust me our car is far from new it's a 97. I don't take pride in owning it, cause their are other cars I would like to own lol. But it is one we have to have to be where we live.

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

View user profile http://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm

i believe gas prices are our fault. not the govs or the oil running out. we take pride in our huge rides and some even consider it a status symbol. some of us have no choice but to drive a big 4x4 though. it really is a simple case of supply and demand. the only way to lower gas prices are to develop alternative fuels or everyone in the USA buys an economy car smaller than a v6.
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:03 pm

ronda what do you all drive? i used to have a geo tracker 4x4 4cyl that would go anywhere and usually without putting it in 4wd. if one owns a expensive suv or the like, trading it in for a small car should be close to an equal trade.
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Wow Siobhan! We had a oil heater in our house when we first moved in and before winter hit we had it replaced because of how hard it was to get here and not to mention the price! We switched over to propane because bringing a gas line up to our house would cost over $5,000 because we live soo far out. But the propane is just as bad! When we get a half of tank which is 200 gallons it cost us almost $600! It is just silly what this world is coming to. I really hope that someone comes up with something that is almost dirt cheap and they still make a good profit from doing so!

And Eric that is crazy! You go through sets of tires every 3 months? Wow! That would end up being a very costly job! I do agree on getting a better car on gas, however there are some who simply can't afford a new car or in our case we can't afford one or even if we could, there is no way we would be able to get home lol. We live on top of a very large hill. I wouldn't say Mountain but it's up there pretty high, looking out our front door it drops down in front of the road out front and all I see are tree tops. Our road is pretty much one lane, and dirt. We have to have 4 wheel drive vehicle that sits high. I soo wish we didn't have to and we could get one of the smaller cars! Maybe one day. But it's a great idea to do, just not able to do for some of us.

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 pm

i just read this and i have to agree. the only way to break the cycle is to stop buying gas which is impossible...especially for me! trade off your gas guzzlers for a honda civic is a good start. read this.

"In April, 1999, a group of well-meaning American netizens organized the "Great Gas Out," an online campaign to get Americans to refrain from buying gas on a given day in order to let the gas companies know that we won't stand for high prices. It gained a lot of media attention but failed to make a dent in oil companies' revenue charts.

Recognizing that one day may not be enough, organizers expanded the Gas Out to three days in 2000. Again, little impact was made.

The chain letter above first surfaced in Summer, 2000, after the second Gas Out. The anonymous author reasoned the failure of previous campaigns was that Americans just can't go without getting gas - even for a couple of days. It was an instant hit, but its popularity faded as gas prices stabilized in late summer. It resurfaced when gas prices spiked again in the springs of 2001 and 2002 (when gas prices began flirting with the $2.00/gallon mark in the U.S.). The 2002 version is the one posted above.

Also, in 2002, the chain letter went international, with versions popping up in the UK and Australia. Language, measurements, currency units and oil company names (Esso and BP, instead of Exxon and Mobil) were switched to their British or Australian equivalents, but otherwise it was the same letter.

Another interesting change in the '02 version was the attribution to "Phillip Hollsworth." I have been unable to locate Mr. Hollsworth, but I do know that he did not originate this letter, as the letter predates his attribution by at least two years. He appears to have become connected through the first UK variation. Odds are, he forwarded it to some friends, resulting in yet another case of False Attribution Syndrome, wherein an "innocent" person becomes mistakenly associated with a chain letter because he or she forwarded it.

Predictably, this nearsighted boycott surges in popularity each spring, as nature and market trends regularly contribute to a seasonal peak in prices. It reliably resurfaced in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 practically unchanged from the 2002 version.

The pattern was slightly tilted when the letter surged in popularity again in August, 2005, as the original's prediction of $3.00 a gallon became true in the U.S. (driven mostly by the effects of Hurricane Katrina on the American gulf coast).

Also in 2005, another chain letter surfaced proposing a big company boycott, this time targeting Chevron and Shell stations.

So, will avoiding one company's gas stations effectively and permanently drive prices down? No. In fact, it would likely have the opposite effect, if any at all. Gas is a commodity. Commodity markets work on the principle of supply and demand. When supply is higher than demand, sellers lower the price until the two factors equalize again. When demand is higher than supply, sellers raise the price to curb use and stretch supplies until, once again, the two factors equalize.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say we successfully organize the ExxonMobil boycott. ExxonMobil loses business and lowers prices to lure you back. The other stations will follow suit and lower prices to compete, right? Not quite.

To avoid ExxonMobil you go to the Speedway across the street, instead. Speedway's business increases, causing them to raise their prices to try to control demand, otherwise their supply would be quickly depleted. Their higher prices drive customers to Shell, who in turn raise their prices and drive customers to BP, and so on. Eventually, supply and demand will equalize and all stations will have the same price again.

As consumers, we can do little to control supply, but we can control demand. However, effectively doing so means reducing demand overall, not just at one station. The reduction in demand must be severe and long-lasting. If you want to save money at the pump, slow down on the freeway, plan outings to get everything in one trip, walk more and trade in that gas-guzzling SUV for an economical compact car for starters.

Other popular armchair activist campaigns to lower prices have called for consumers to buy only the gas they need, stick to stations that only buy fuel from domestic sources and ask the President to lower prices. The original "Gas Out" idea has also returned.

Historically, chain-letter boycott campaigns are almost always failures. Reaching people is different from getting them to participate. People will receive duplicates, some will dismiss it out of hand, some e-mails will never reach their recipients. It will take a lot more than "the sixth iteration" or "8 days" to get 300,000,000 supporters. But, since e-mail chain letters are easy to distribute, we do so, fooling ourselves into thinking we're doing a good thing. Instead, we're propagating nearly a decade's worth of Armchair Activism based on a faulty premise. Break this chain."
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm

and guess what? i was just contacted by a fellow postal employee who stated prices are going up AGAIN tonight!!!! WTF? my maintenance fee for running the mail for 1 day is $58. it costs me 40 to run the route 1 day. it will now cost me 45+ for 1 day. that fee i get is also for tires, exhausts falling off and other mechanical repairs. i go through 1 set of tires every 3 months. i dont get enough to cover my costs.

we need a list of fuel stations and who their owned by. we dont have any exxon or mobil stations here. just speedway, bp, super america and shell.
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 am

That is such a good idea. Makes perfect sense. It is becoming a luxury to take our cars out isnt it?

The latest here is that now the Dept of the Environment have decided that we need to preserve our landscapes so our only indigenous fuel, peat is now protected. There is a gasfield of our south coast, but it is only piped to towns. So my only option for heat is now... oil. At ridciulous prices some people may not be able to afford to heat their homes!
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 238

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gas Prices!!

Post by Ronda on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:18 pm

I got this in an e-mail today and thought it was a good idea. Just thought I would share with all of you!

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thou ght of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.98 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been c ontacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this t o 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you !
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down