Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY!

+2
Mischief
Brilliantfids
6 posters

Go down

Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY! Empty Re: Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY!

Post by kibibi Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:22 pm

How strange is that? I just posted new pix of the feathers that Kibibi lost and came here and you already did the same thing! Smile Kibibi only lost six feathers in the mayhem. I guess this seasons molt went a little bit faster than usual Smile She still has one feather that is bent out of shape. I put a picture of it on my site too. You can see the pictures at the link below if you're interested.
http://www.infosuperflyway.com/pictures.php
kibibi
kibibi
Postee
Postee

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.infosuperflyway.com/

Back to top Go down

Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY! Empty Re: Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY!

Post by Brilliantfids Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY! 100_2913 some of the feathers aries lost! he has lost a few more since the time I took the picture, and I have found more also..I believe so far its 25!
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliantfids Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Ok yeah I have this posted on several forums and a ton of my friends had the same thing last night! First off I cant believe there was an earthquake in CHICAGO, second wow birds are really sensitive!! Even my friends in MN said at the same exact time their birds did the same thing!!! Thanks guys and Aries seems fine now...Just missing several feathers.
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kibibi Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:51 pm

The exact thing happened to me and Kibibi. It was the earthquake if you live in the Midwest. The earthquake hit at about 5:30 Central. I awoke to a shaking house and Kibibi flailing around in her cage. She lost several major feathers (4 or 5) and still has one that is sticking out from her wing. It isn't sore (she let me touch it) and isn't bleeding so I'm going to give her some time and let her deal with it. If it bothers her, she'll remove it herself.
kibibi
kibibi
Postee
Postee

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.infosuperflyway.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Tiff do you still have the kittens in the house? I know when our kitten was smaller he was sweet as could be during the day, and than at night I found him terrorizing the birds cages at night. Molly got very freaked out. Just a suggestion cause I didn't believe it till I saw him. I snuck out of the bedroom and went into the living room to see what was going on and sure enough he was on top of the cage trying to get in. We keep ours covered too! It was just a kitten thing, we kept him locked at night from there on in my daughters room with food and cat pan at night, cause that's the only time of day he would bother them. He has since become an indoor/outdoor cat here in the country and we just let him out at night now. So maybe this could be your scare?
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:59 am

Hello Tiff,

I am with Tammy a bug or something might have spooked the birds. As for the molting Amazons will go through a molt in the late spring after the breeding season is over. A Amazon will molt all year long but the tail and wing molt happens around June and July. One thing you need to know also is that every 2 to 3 years they will have a total molt. This is a much heavier molt. They will replace about 80% of there feathers with the larger molt. I will say if he is still a little spooked about what happened it must have been something that really got to him. Most of the times a spooked bird will calm down after about an hour or so. ( like when you trim there nails, or wings, and mostly after you towel a bird) Something shook him up pretty bad to still have the effects this many hours later. I would watch him pretty close over the next day or so and if he is still spooked you might need to bring him to the vet to make sure he did not hurt something internaly. Remember a bird is a great hider of pain and weakness. This is because in the wild they can not show any weakness's because of birds of prey and predators. Even though a bird is a pet the natural instincts take over.

Please let us know if he comes around.

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BustersMom Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 am

Did this happen today (Friday)?? Where do you live? My husband just called me and said there was an earthquake near Evansville, IN, this morning at 5:30. I slept through it, but he said he felt the house shake for about 10 seconds. The news said it was a 5.4 and could be felt 180 miles away.
BustersMom
BustersMom

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischief Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 am

Good luck and please let us know when you are able to sort it out. My Mischief also fell off the perch one night late. But he just lost his balance, fortunately didn't get hurt. I really hope it was nothing serious.
Tammy
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliantfids Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 am

Thanks for the reply, this happened at 5 am. Aries wing now looks back to normal except a few missing feathers. Everybody is acting fine except fawkes is pacing a bit. I dont think it could of been a mouse a fly or moth is possible. I know Parrots sometimes experience night frights, but WOW was that scary. I will have to inspect aries better after all is calm, I would be missing fingers if I tried to mess with him right now. Hes one upset amazon right now!! I dont blame him, and im so sad about his poor tail! My beautiful boy has no tail! I hope he is ok, Im pretty sure he is just scared right now. Thanks again!
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischief Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:40 am

Hi there
I am no expert but I would say take Aries for a check up as there may be something more serious. I have no idea what time it is where you are, but on what could of scared them, is it possible that either a mouse, spider or other insect could have got in and spooked them in the sleep. I would give the room a really good look over and see if there is anything there. Please keep us posted and good luck
Tammy
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY! Empty Help me figure this out!!!!!!! SCARY!

Post by Brilliantfids Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:08 am

I was sleeping, about 20 minutes ago when I heard thrashing and screaming coming from all over my room. I woke up and turned on the light s and Pocco was on the floor next to me walking around, Aries was thrashing in his cage and Fawkes was doing the same in hers. Something spooked them and I have no clue what it was...maybe a car or something? Anyways nobody is bleeding or anything but Aries must of landed on his tail, he now only has one feather for a tail and his primaries are pretty rough looking....I literally have about 20 feathers from in and around his cage. His wing seems a little banged up, the feathers are all out of place and he is holding his wing a little odd. It doesnt seem to be causing him pain but it looks oddly uncomfortable. My question is any ideas on what the heck might of happened? What can I do to prevent it from happening again, and how often do amazons molt? Is it once a year, if so I sure hope he starts his molt soon...poor guy! Fawkes seems pretty much fine, she has one feather that looks a little beat up and Pocco is fine. They all are a little wound up but im a little worried about Aries. Thanks in advance!
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down