Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet another Obi update

3 posters

Go down

Yet another Obi update Empty Re: Yet another Obi update

Post by Lovelylew Tue May 06, 2008 12:17 am

Thank you both. You wouldn't believe the difference in Obi since Marnie came last week. Shirley (from the bird farm) gave me some helpful pointers too. Obi actually said "what ya doing" this morning along with other phrases, which I couldn't understand yet. She is coming around and it helps that my husband is getting involved and very enthused with her.

Our granddaughter came over this weekend and spent the night. Obi continually growled and almost squawked at her. I continued to tell Obi that this was Kirsten and that she was a good girl and how much we loved her. I did bring Obi out of the cage and had her on the play gym for about 10 minutes. Kirsten was a little afraid, so I did not push the issue and then put her back in the cage.

I think with work and getting more and more confident, Obi is going to be a very good addition to our family. I'm SO GLAD that everyone encouraged me, helped me, and understood. It's so nice that you all have shared your experiences too. Having a Grey is definitely an experience for sure.

Have a wonderful evening!
Lovelylew
Lovelylew
Forum Junky
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Mon May 05, 2008 8:07 pm

Lovelylew wrote:

It's nice to know I can come to a safe place, share my feelings, and not be ridiculed for my inexperience.

Hi Debbie,

Don't forget we were all inexperienced at one time or another, and in some areas we all still are! I am rooting for you and Obi, I do hope it all works out for both of you one way or another. It sounds like you love her dearly, and are just waiting for her to love you too, and she will eventually. She is just slow to show it Smile
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Mon May 05, 2008 2:21 pm

I am so glad to hear you are going to try and works things out with her. I am sure she loves you (maybe just a weird way of showing it) and I am sure it will all be ok in the end. I spent a tons of frustrating hours trying to work with Cash when I was positive that he hated me. Now he is the love of my life (not a cuddlebug) but wonderful and tame and invaluable member to our family!
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Yet another Obi update Empty Yet another Obi update

Post by Lovelylew Fri May 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Boy, I sure hope you all don't think I'm some insane lady - lol - cause I'm really not. I'm a loving, caring person who is very confused at this point in time. I don't know who or what to believe. The rescue lady definitely controlled Obi instead of Obi controlling her - so that was something definitely worth observing.

Obi seems very different today and actually has done extremely well. I managed to get her into her pet carrier, very easily I might add, and I took her to the bird farm where I purchased my tiel 6 years ago and buy food. They weighed Obi, and Obi sat perfectly fine - no nipping or anything. She weighs 389 grams. Shirley, the owner, said that Obi is a very healthy bird. She said Obi is a good bird and that it was ME that needed help. I was letting Obi intimidate me and I had to learn how to take control and not be fearful of her. She said that I needed to learn how to handle a bird of this size and intelligence.

She took the time to show me how Obi should perch - on TWO fingers not one - even the top of my hand would provide her a steady place. She also told me that I could call her anytime and come down with Obi as often as I liked until I'm comfortable. EXTREMELY kind of her. She also thought that Obi was not 5 months, although still a young bird. I thanked her, left with Obi, and came home.

When I got back, I decided to call the breeder to ask her to please tell me when Obi was born. The breeder assured me that Obi was born on December 7, 2007. She told me that I could call the person that bought Obi's sister to verify since that bird was the first to leave. I didn't feel this was necessary. I had about an hour conversation with her on the phone, and she assured me again that she was telling the truth. This breeder told me that I should settle down, take it easy, and let Obi learn to adjust to the environment and gain trust. She, too, told me I could call her if I had any more questions or concern. I thanked her for her time and thought long and hard about the situation.

My heart tells me that I should not abort this mission no matter how difficult. I don't want Obi to go to another home at this point because this is her home now. No matter if she's 5 months or 10 months, she's Obi and she's our bird.

Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe my inexperience is making me fearful, causing Obi to be fearful and also allowing her to be Queen of the Roost, so I'm going to continue to educate myself and reassure myself hat I CAN and WILL be able to take care of her while I'm learning along the way.

I had ordered a tabletop play gym for her which arrived the day before yesterday. After dinner, my husband and I took Obi into the living room with us as she sat on her play gym and seemed very content.
I do NOT think that Obi is a "rank and aggressive" bird. I think she's like a little child that needs to develop trust, and I MUST not be fearful and NOT let her rule and guide me. I'm the parent here, and it's about time I stop being ruled by her.

I want to thank everyone for giving me support and encouragement on this forum. It's nice to know I can come to a safe place, share my feelings, and not be ridiculed for my inexperience. I love birds, animals and nature. I'm planning to do the best darned job I can with Obi. Hopefully within the next few days, I can report back and be able to share my progress with you.

Again, thanks to everyone. God Bless and have a great weekend!

Debbie
Lovelylew
Lovelylew
Forum Junky
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down