My Umbrella Cockatoo is biting my husband and my daughter...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo is biting my husband and my daughter...

Post by mama2babygirl on Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Thank you Lyric! Smile I have tried lots of new things with her, but I guess shes just picky From what I understand the guy that had her only gave her Cockatieal seed . I'm trying Parrot Supreme with her, so far so good! She just picks though it and eats what she finds she likes . I am still learning her, we got her from an elderly guy that really has too many birds and can't and hasn't taken care of them in a very long time. His health is poor and when I say lots of birds I'm talking like 300 of them down in his basement!! Babies to breeders, all kinds! I did find out she LOVES peanuts and apples:!:
But so far thats about it. Thanks for the info I'll try a few of them. Very Happy
mama2babygirl
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric on Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am

That's great news mama2babygirl! If everyone in the family keeps working with her you should be able to make more progress with time.
As far as foods go- absolutely no chocolate, alcohol, avocado, caffeine. Try to avoid anything sugary, salty. Stuff with high vit a is great, like sweet potato, carrots, squash. Dark leafy greens like kale, mustard greens, collard greens are great. I make stir frys for my birds with brown rice, squash, carrots, kale, different kinds of beans. I actually make this for myself for lunch and feed it to the birds too. They love it. Sometimes I cut up sweet potato and add that too. Lyric likes oatmeal too- make sure it's not too hot but still warm and feed with a spoon- they love this, reminds them of being babies.
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Thu May 08, 2008 2:32 am

So glad you are making progress with her!
As far as posting pics there is a box up above where you type. It is left of the smiley face 4 blocks. Or you can go to Photobucket and create an acct and than post the IMG code here, but make sure that the size is for message boards.
And for foods there is a whole section on this forum that you can read and post any questions you have. Here is the link
http://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com/parrot-food-f4/

Keep us updated and please send pics when you can!

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

View user profile http://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mama2babygirl on Thu May 08, 2008 2:20 am

Thank you all for the advice! I'm so glad that I found this web page!! Very Happy well I do have a bit f good news!! shes not so aggressive towards my husband. She is letting him touch her feet and beak, but only in the cage. If shes out of her cage and he is around me she gets REALLY aggetated . I have found an alternative to her bath, as I posted earlier she is a rescue bird and she was traumatized by a squirt bottle by her last owner. I found out that she loves playing in the bath tub with baby toys flower I have pictures and as soon as I figure out to post them I will share them with you guys.I think that we are making Some progress SLOWLY! Can anyone tell me what kinds of people food is NOT good for her? I know that she loves apples and peanuts lol! And again thank you guys for all you advice.
mama2babygirl
submission happy
submission happy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BustersMom on Tue May 06, 2008 5:49 pm

One thing I've read is that you might want to have a "time-out" cage. This is true of all parrots and not just 'toos. If you put them back in their regular cage, then they have their toys and food. So I don't think that is much of a punishment. They will learn that if they bite they get to go back and play with their toys. A "time-out" cage is just a small cage with a perch. You actually treat the bird just like you would treat a child. You give them a firm "NO" and then say "time-out" and put them in the time-out cage for about 10 minutes and pay no attention to them. After the 10 minutes, you take them out and try again to do whatever it was you were trying to accomplish. NEVER leave the bird in the time-out cage for more than 10 minutes and try to put it back in its cage or play area on a good note. For example, say you were trying to pet the bird and it bit you. It would go in the time-out cage. After taking the bird out, try to pet it again. If you succeed, you could then return it to the play area. If not, back to the time-out cage for a couple of minutes. Hope this helps.

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric on Tue May 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi! Your too needs to learn that biting is not acceptable. She needs to learn that she will not get her way just because she is biting. But, be careful of the reaction she is getting to the bites. Like Ronda said, don't yell or laugh when she bites because this will encourage her further. I think the best thing to do is calmly as you can, give her a very dirty look along with a firm "No" and take her immediately back to her cage and put her inside for a time out.
It may be that she may never play nice with your husband or daughter. They will have to watch her and judge from her posture and behaviour when she is getting ready to be naughty. I think toos tend to raise the crest and pin their eyes when they are getting aggressive or over stimulated. Watch her at these times and try to avoid the bites if possible.
Sometimes when my grey is on top of his cage he will bite when I want to pick him up and he doesn't want me to. At these times I wrap my hand in a bath towel and make him step up and put him directly inside his cage. This way he knows he is going to have to do what I'm telling him whether he likes it or not, but it saves my hands from getting bitten.
I don't personally have a too but I hope my advice is helpful to you. Best of luck with your baby girl.- Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovelylew on Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 am

I'm sorry, mama2babygirl, I can't offer much in the way of advice at this point, but I'm sorry you are going through this. I've been having some issues with being a new Grey owner, and the people here have been very supportive.

We have two cockatiels, a keeshound and an African Grey, our first large bird. We're learning how to handle her, trying to relax when handling her, and being very very patient.

Is this your first bird ever? I know for me, handling a larger bird can be quite intimidating. When they bite, they bite hard - lol - but I LOVE birds, always have.

Good luck with your Umbrella Cockatoo, and please post back your progress. Have a great Tuesday!
Lovelylew
Forum Junky
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 am

Honestly I think it will all come with Patience! We have a Quaker, I know that is a whole bunch smaller than an U2, but you are describing exactly what we went through with her when we got her at 3 years old and very abused! Her story is here on the forum in the Quaker room. But she would go after our feet especially mine. She bonded with my husband from the first day and with reason on her end, because she was abused by a woman before us. It will take loads of time and patience. Like I said just find out what her favorite food is, something she just loves! And let only your husband and daughter give that to her. Have your daughter start out with talking to her and not trying to pick her up for a bit and just giving her treats so she gets comfortable with seeing her hands and knowing that she isn't going to hurt her. How old is your daughter? Sometimes if they are young birds just don't care for the kids. If she is older than it could just be she has bonded with you and you are the chosen one. But in time she can come around and be a family bird. We have had Molly our Quaker for 9 years now and within the past 2 years she has finally come around to the rest of the family. I can't stress time and patience enough! Just start slow and find something she likes to eat and have just them feed it to her. And like I said this is the age where most people get rid of a Too because they are coming into sexual maturity and can't be handled much. They will come out of this stage, just stick with her and show her love and she will come out of it and everyone can start bonding. Being that she is at that age, one thing not to do is pet her under her wings, or by her tail feathers. This encourages sexual frustration for male or female birds and can cause bad behaviors. So at any time keep away from these areas while petting. You are doing good by just getting advice and wanting to do good by this bird, if you are attached to her already, please just give her time, She may come around in the long run, but the poor thing has soo many things going on right now with having a new home and getting used to everyone and than she's at the right age for sexual maturity as well, she just needs time to adjust to it all. And I'm sure being that you love her just as much you can all stick by her and give her some time to adjust and not give up. Trust me 7 years was a long time to wait, but my daughter can now handle Molly and love on her just like my husband can. But than again she didn't work with her everyday, so that is another key. Time and working with them every day for intervals of 15-20 minutes at a time about 4 times a day. Keep us updated and hopefully someone else will be along to help as well.

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mama2babygirl on Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 am

Thank you for the reply. When she bit my daughter the both were on the floor. baby was doing really well, then all of a sudden she just lunged at her. I can play with her on the floor just fine. But now my daughter is scared of her. My husband has taken some REALLY hard bits from her buy he still tries to talk to her. She is REALLY loving with me. I have no problem with her. Now even when my daughter walks by her cage she lunging at her. With my husband, shes OK with him talking to her in her cage but if he goes to pet her or even looks like hes going to touch her she does the same thing to him to. We where told not to let her on our shoulders from the get go. So we try to avoid that. I really think that she has really bonded with me. But how do we get her to accept the other family members(husband & daughter)? Also she tries to bite our feet if she gets off her cage and gets on the floor. What would you suggest on how to help her over come the over protective part? I do know that she has been traumatized by a squirt bottle and has been yelled at. I really do not want to give up on her, Im already so attached to her. I'm reading up on trying to read her body language but I'm not doing so hot on that lol. My husband thinks that once she gets comfortable with me and her new surroundings she will start to accept him and my daughter. I don't know, all I know is I want her to be a happy, healthy too........ Very Happy
mama2babygirl
submission happy
submission happy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Mon May 05, 2008 3:52 am

Hello and welcome!
There are a few reasons that your umbrella can be doing this. For one it is spring, and she seems to be at that perfect age for mating. Birds in general will go through spurts when they come into sexual maturity. This can be one reason. The second is she has picked you to be her chosen one and doesn't want anything to do with any one else in the household. This is very common in older birds, and even younger ones. It just depends on how they were brought up to begin with. If she is biting at your daughter in the face, is the bird on her shoulder? Because that should not be aloud just because for one she is rescued and you don't know her too well and even with a bird that you have trusted for years can all of a sudden hurt you or someone else out of jealousy or even a lack of footing if not careful. But I am guilty of this same thing, I let all my birds with the exception of one get on my shoulder. The being over protective of you will be hard to correct, it will take some time and patience and it will not happen over night or even in a months time. It is something that you will all have to work with her on. When your not home, your husband and daughter should hold, play with and feed favorite snacks to her. By any means when she shows aggressive behavior towards them, don't over react such as yelling or laughing because they look for those responses and will keep doing the act to get you to do it again. I ask that you try your best to give her time, it's hard to tell what she has been through. If everyone is willing to work with her and can somewhat handle her now, you may have a good potential family bird on your hands. But it's possible too that she may only be your bird and she will tollerate the other members of the family (flock) when your not around because Cockatoo's love attention.
I'm sure there will be a few others on here to try to help. I know we have a breeder on here who deals with Cockatoo's and also a member on here who helps allot with rescue centers for parrots. So don't give up yet, hopefully you can find some answers!
Welcome again and hope you stay and keep us updated!

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

My Umbrella Cockatoo is biting my husband and my daughter...

Post by mama2babygirl on Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 am

Hello,
I am new to the whole bird owner thing. My husband and I rescued a 3 year old female Umbrella cockatoo. She is very calm and loving with me. But bites my husband and she bit my daughter in the face. We don't want to give up on her but I can't have her being so mean to my husband and daughter. I have been trying to read up on some of the advice that others have to say about the common problems with rescued birds. I have tried a few of them and yes, to my surprise they have worked! But I REALLY need some advise on the biting and being over protective of me. How do I keep her from being so overly protective of me. And let my husband and daughter be included. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated............................ Very Happy
mama2babygirl
submission happy
submission happy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top