Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help - sibling rivalry

3 posters

Go down

Help - sibling rivalry Empty Re: Help - sibling rivalry

Post by Mischief Thu May 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks Claire. I am doing similar. I wish I could take Mischief to work but I am on the road all day so it would not be very good for him/her. I also keep making a concerted effort to talk to Mischief first, clean his/her cage first, feed first, etc.
But wow talk about being given the cold shoulder. Smile
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 am

I am going through the same situation with the new baby. Cash is very jealous and has been acting out, being aggressive towards me and picking out some feathers. I have upped his foraging toys during the day to keep him busy and it seems to have stopped him from picking. I make sure when I go into the room I talk to him first before anyone else. I have also taken him to work with me a couple of days to show him he still is very special to me. When I get home from work with the baby, I have my boyfriend take her down and put her in her cage so he thinks that she is my boyfriend "girlfriend". He was much more accepting when we brought Boo home so who knows. I am sure he will accept her with time as will yours and all will be kosher again Smile
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischief Wed May 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi Mario
Great to hear from you. Thanks I thought as much at least the instinct was there to do the right thing. Grumpy(Mischief) even pooped on my head this afternoon. But I will keep it in mind and perservere. I do love the hooligan irrespective. I didn't think I would have another hormonal body in the house though Laughing And as for the bill, I will keep a beedy eye on it.

How is your flock doing?
regards
Tammy
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed May 07, 2008 11:41 am

Hello Tammy,

Sounds like you have a little bird that is acting out. He/she is taking the same stance as a child that has a new brother or sister. You need to spend as much time with him/her and make him/her understand that they are the older brother/sister and has the upperhand over the new comer. They will be very jelous at first so you need to make them understand that they are the number one bird. This happens often when a new bird is brought in to a home that has other birds. Mischef is acting out because he feels his one on one time is now going to be as much as before. Birds are very territorial at times and will defend it at all costs. You in Mischef's mind is that you are his/hers and does not want to share you with the new comer. Also remember that this is the spring and there hormones are fully kicking. I knoiw in South Africa it is winter but in there natural habit this is the season for making love. He/she internal clock is now in that mode and you need to let it run its coarse. That could be one thing added to the new bird coming into HIS/HER home. I would continue to try to make Mischef feel like he/she is the number one bird and just keep working with him/her. Just watch, ringnecks are a hook bill and they will give you a good nip when they are cranky.

I hope this helps you out

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Help - sibling rivalry Empty Help - sibling rivalry

Post by Mischief Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 am

Please help. Since my TAG has arrived Mischief is sulking big time and will not come to me. However, I have made great efforts to see that I still spend time with him/her. Mischief is spending more time out of the cage than previously and also getting extra tit bits of his/her favourites like pasta, grape and tomatoe. Mishief continually runs away from me and will not step up which s/he was doing previously. Mischief goes to my hubby and is also a little aggressive at the moment. What can I do? scratch
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down