Vitamin A deficiency in finches.

Go down

Re: Vitamin A deficiency in finches.

Post by BMustee on Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 am

I couldn't believe there was no info anywhere on the web about deficiencies, but for how easy they are to treat and I'm sure how easy it is to get I would think there would be a ton on info. I bet it's because finches are seen as a "year pet" and if they die they die. Not to many people seem to upset if they get sick or not.
BMustee

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-03-13

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/mustee_er

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliantfids on Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks for the info! I will check my finches beaks tommorow just to be sure!

Co-Admin

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BMustee on Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 am

you can see the white on her beak in the pictures above.
BMustee

Female

Back to top Go down

Vitamin A deficiency in finches.

Post by BMustee on Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 am

I wanted to post this info for anyone that notices a discoloration in the beaks of their small birds (and maybe their big birds too)

My original breeder female Star Finch came down with a mysterious symptom right after her first breeding season and unfortunately did not make it. After I replaced her and got a second set for genetically non related offspring to sell, another female Star started to get the same color change in her beak. Because there was no info on the web ANYWHERE and the only thing breeders I talked to said it sounded like was scaly face mites I talked to an Avian vet when I took Elmo in for a well-bird visit. He asked to see some pictures and sent me home with some Ivermectin to be sure. I sent him the pics and he was a bit stumped as well, but did not think it was S.F. mites...as was I because non of the other finches had signs of infection. He thought that maybe…just maybe…it could be a vitamin A deficiency. I started giving ALL the finches Necton-S in their drinking water. Necton has the best levels of A on the market and it is a popular brand with breeders. Low and behold, just 2 months later her beak is back to normal. I have sense started giving Necton-E a few times a week as well to boost fertility and I have three nests with eggs.

Last edited by BMustee on Wed May 14, 2008 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
BMustee

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: