Lovebirds

Go down

Re: Lovebirds

Post by BMustee on Wed May 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Is she wanting them as pets? I have only come across one bonded pair that is still "pet condition". Lovebirds, hand fed or not, will not want anything to do with people when they have another lovebird to be with. I see about 10 lovebirds a week that come into my petstore for wing and nail trims and I would say 99% of the lovebirds that are kept in pairs are mean little bastards and bite the heck out of us anytime they get the chance. Kept single they are sweet as pie and are one of the best pet parrots. It is a myth that lovebirds need to be kept in pairs. As long as they get daily attention they are just fine being alone.
BMustee

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-03-13

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/mustee_er

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy on Sat May 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Hello,

First of all if she has a true breeding pair they will breed any way if they want to. A breeding box will incourage it more but they are known to breed and have the eggs on the bottom of the cage. Second there diet is some what the same as a parakeet in some ways. I like to give mine a seed and pellet blend. I also give them fresh fruits and veggies. If the female is in the cage with the male I would add a cuddle bone or a high calcium food in with the foods she feeds now. A hen will become calcium deficiant even if she is not breeding. Add broccolli or almonds to the food and a cuddle bone and she will be fine.

Mario
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

View user profile http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear on Fri May 16, 2008 12:31 pm

They are a breeding pair however I do not believe that she would like them to breed. If she does not supply any nesting sites/materials, will this keep them from breeding? Also, do they have any specific nutritional needs that are different than parakeets? Thanks Mario

Female
Number of posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy on Fri May 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Hello,

What are you wanting to know? I have them and have bred them for years. I will answer your questions but I need to know what you need.

Mario
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

View user profile http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Lovebirds

Post by ClaireBear on Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm

My mom is getting a pair of lovebirds this weekend. She currently has 5 parakeets in a big flight. She has another cage (obviously) for the lovies. Does anyone have any advice I could pass along to her in regards to them. Thanks!

Female
Number of posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum