Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

conures and family

5 posters

Go down

conures and family Empty Re: conures and family

Post by kimmie_30 Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm

heres my update on my sun conure.. my finace has worked with him. he takes him out and as soon as the bird is out he jumps off my fiance hand he walks down the hallway looking for me if he dont do that he gets to the top of the cage and starts yelling, if my fiance gets to hold him where the bird dont fly off the he just sits on his arm yelling and getting mad... he has even ran up his arm and bit him on the ear... as soon as he hears me he calms down and gets on my kissing me and yelling at him. i think the lady that had him must of not had a man around or if she did he must of been mean to the bird,,, i dont want to stress tango out no more so i just get him out and hold him and when i sit next to my fiance the bird just looks at him and then gets closer to my head lol so we just decided he is just my bird lol my other birds are good with both of us. so we will just let the sun love me my fiance isnt hurt over it.
kimmie_30
kimmie_30
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:22 pm

I provide the sole care of all of my birds including the conure. Most recently tho the conure has been biting and "yelling" at me and only likes my boyfriend. I still will endure the bites to bring him out of the cage. I think he has just made his choice as most species of bird do and I'm ok with it. I try to not let him see that my feelings are hurt.
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:25 pm

I think with time Kimmie if he spends some quality time with him he can become a family bird. Molly our quaker was just like that, and sometimes still can be. But over the years we have all tried to work with her and finally she is coming around to letting everyone hold her pretty much except my son, and I think that's just because she senses his fear. But it's pretty much work that has to be done every day even if it's just 15 minutes a day. I know it is funny cause Molly used to try to attack my toes all the time and Jessie would just laugh, but that made Molly do it more, we read that if they get a laugh out of someone they will keep doing it regardless if it's nice or not, same goes for yelling at any bird. I'm sure it's not just a Quaker thing. But try having your fiance work with him every day a bit and see how things go. Jessie is having to do that with SweetHeart my TAG right now. So now it's all reversed lol.
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 am

I adopted my sun conure at 4 years old (she's now a little over 5) & she was a one person bird. Not only that but she really hated men. She definitely had not been treated badly by men (i know the previous owners of her) she just chose to hate men.

When we got her we decided to let Dave do all the work & me do nothing, as she was bonding to me & mean to Dave. The rules in the house for her were simple. Dave Let her out of the cage each morning. If she didn't like this, he'd walk off & leave her there. Because she was extremely lonely from her previous life she only attacked him once. After this she realised if she wanted to spend the day out of her cage she was to let Dave take her out. From then on she's been very much a family bird.

Back to top Go down

conures and family Empty conures

Post by Brilliantfids Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 am

Kimmie, that is VERY typical of a conure!! My Waglers and My gold-capped will attack Shane, but they both are my baby boys!! Titus actually used to prefer Shane but one day he just went the whole other direction and now guards me with his life!! LOL!
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:05 am

I don't know if they are anything like Quakers but I know that sounds exactly like ours! We have had her for 9 years now and she will still try to attack me if hubby is holding her. And than she laughs at me lol
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Hello,

Sun conures as all conures are usually a family style bird. They are known to become a one person bird at times. My sun is OK with me and the wife but he really loves my son. Try this have you out of the room and let you fiance hold the bird. See if he still hisses and gets upset. If you are the one he feels the most comfy with try to be out of his sight when your fiance is holding him. Let the bird become a little comfy with him and then you go in to the room and see how he acts. This is a trust thing if he sees you he will want you. Your fiance has to get the trust with the bird and all should calm down.

Ziggy
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

conures and family Empty conures and family

Post by kimmie_30 Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:20 pm

i was wondering if anyone knew if it was normal for a sun conure to only like one person in the family. when i first got him, he like me and my fiance. but now he will get on his hand but then jump on miss and hiss at my fiance. i try not to laugh dont want to hurt his feeling. but the bird gets on me gives me kisses turns to him hisses then starts yelling at me like why did you let him hold me. im not sure what to do. i believe it is because that he dont spend as much time as i do with the bird. confused
kimmie_30
kimmie_30
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down