Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disaster Planning

3 posters

Go down

Disaster Planning Empty Re: Disaster Planning

Post by BMustee Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Lets see what I have...
Cornstarch - I don't have septic powder because you can only use it on the nails and the cornstarch seems to work just as good.
Gauze Bandages
Scissors
Adhesive Tape
- The kind made for holding down gauze.
Nail clippers
Needle Nose pliers
- Some sites say to have forceps but I find them to be a bit difficult to use when your trying to pull a blood feather and prefer the pliers.
Antibiotic ointment - Thats more for me just incase of a bite. Laughing
Antiseptic Towelettes - That one is for the birds...I need to find out where they sell them because I took mine out of the first-aid kit at my old job. Hahaha
Over-the-counter avian Antibiotic - I keep a box of Ornacycline-Plus on hand just incase I need to start meds just to hold any of the birds over till I can get them to the vet.

And for at the house I have Aloe plants for those minor bumbs and booboos.
BMustee
BMustee

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://www.myspace.com/mustee_er

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Yes Berna that is an awesome post! Thanks for posting that for us! I would love to know what all you have in your first aid kit though!! I know you mentioned some things but than you said "and the rest of the necessities" Can you help some new people out and myself actually on what else you put in there? Thanks!!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:37 pm

That's great information- thanks for posting. This spring has been quite a rollercoaster ride weather-wise around here. We have been bombarded by rain and tornados have devastated towns all around the Midwest. I wish I was more prepared for a disaster. I guess it's never too late to get prepared, until the disaster happens.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all our flocks will stay safe this summer.
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Disaster Planning Empty Disaster Planning

Post by BMustee Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:49 pm

It’s that time of year again…hurricane season. Living on the Gulf Coast every year we need to be prepared for the worst, and it’s something even people not in the hurricane zone should do. With all the flooding, fires, and tornados across the country everyone with pets needs to have a plan.

Always know where your pets carrier is and have it ready. I keep Elmo’s carrier by the cage. Don’t forget about your small birds ether. I keep my finches in a very large flight that won’t fit in the car. I keep two small cages that I can move them into for evacuation. Be sure to have carriers for all your pets. I have 2 cats, 14 finches, and my Congo African Grey; all of them have a designated carrier. If you have dogs and cats be sure to have their tags (if they don’t already wear them) and vaccination paperwork in your evacuation kit.

Not all shelters except animals and many of the shelters that do require you to register before evacuations. Call your local Emergency Management Division to find out where the designated animal friendly shelter is located and register if needed. If you live in one of the many counties that do not have animal friendly shelters you should find out what veterinarian offices are approved for boarding animals during a storm or after another catastrophic disaster. I know I could not bare to leave my animals anywhere during such a stressful time and if you are like me you should keep the numbers to multiple hotels that except pets. They fill up fast so be sure to call early, not the day before the storm hits. If you have family or friends that are inland or in an area out of harms way call them ahead of time and see if you could evacuate to their home with your pets.

I know many of us are guilty of letting our parrots food get down to a day or twos worth before we head to the store, but in this season you need to keep at least a weeks worth at all times. I keep my birds food in plastic locking containers and if need be can be packed into a tote bag quickly and easily, which is also kept by the cage. Be sure to have three days worth of water for each bird as well.

Health emergencies can happen any time and you don’t want to be caught without your first aid kit. My first aid supplies are all in a small toolbox. Nail clippers, needle nose pliers, flour/cornstarch, antibiotic ointment, and the rest of the necessities should always be together and ready to go. Be sure the number to your avian vet is in your kit and if your bird has a leg band the ID# should be written down as well.

I’m sure we all remember the horrific images on TV and in the papers of animals left behind to weather the storm and we don’t want that for our pets. Following this basic disaster plan will make it so much easier to get everyone to safety.
BMustee
BMustee

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://www.myspace.com/mustee_er

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: