Pots,Pans & Candles Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Pots,Pans & Candles Help

Post by Lyric on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Hey Jen, so glad to hear he is doing good! That's so great!
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:54 pm

Thanks to all, He is doing AWESOME. Playing with all his toys,eating everything we give him,kissing,loving and talking jibber jabber. I thought he was going to be real quiet for a couple of days. He is probably used to seeing me, my little girl and I went to go see him every week since he was a baby.I am watching my cat very hard he seems to intrested and is scaring me.He backs off as soon as I say his name but still.I'm going to go take a pic of him and post it. Thanks Jen & Canolli

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:51 am

yes and no, they make soy candles that are ok with cotton wicks. But any scented candle sends off fumes in the air which are no good for our birds respiratory system. They can't handle it. If you burn it in another room or if you have the window open and circulating the air it shouldn't be too bad. It is always still a risk so just be aware of that. I on the occasion will still burn a candle, just not all day like I used to. If I know I am having company I will burn one for a little bit but I have windows open and the fan going. Again I know I am taking a risk, some are willing and some are not. I think with open windows and circulation and the fact that I might only burn one twice a year isn't too bad. Just use your own judgment and what you feel is safe.

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

View user profile http://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mama2babygirl on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:44 am

I heard that candles are ok to burn if they don't have a lead wick. Is that ture?
mama2babygirl
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Hello,

You can burn candles but not the scented kinds. The oils and the wax from scented candles is what will harm or kill your bird. As for teflon pans. I have been cooking for years (I am a chef by trade) and I have NEVER had a problem with them. The only thing is that I will not have the bird in the same room as the pan when I am cooking in it. The kitchen when cooking is NO place for a bird any way. They can fly into a pan on the stove or a burner that is hot. My suggestion is to not have a bird in the kitchen at any time. When
I am baking in teflon pans (cakes, cupcakes or brownies) I put the birds out side in the flight so that they are not effected by the teflon. A good rule of thumb is this "If you dont feel comfy with teflon or candles then just dont use them at all". There are many studies on these items with birds and there are many conflicting outcomes.

Mario
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214

View user profile http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliantfids on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:37 pm

I have always heard to throw out all non-stick everything, candles, aerosol, glade plug ins etc...So thats what I did, lol. I really miss my candles but I love my birds way too much to risk it. Now I Used candles, teflon etc. with birds before I knew anything about them at all...I never lost any of them. But its one of those things that now that I knowits not safe, I just cant do it. You have to keep in mind the long term effects it could have on them and not just the sudden tragic death. Plus if its not good for the birds my guess is in some way its not good for you either! But thats just my opinion and experience. And actually I cant say that I tossed everything because I do still have and use one non-stick pan...but only for mine and shanes eggs. If you do keep your teflon, just dont cook for him using it.

Everybody does things different and we all love our birds here, with birds you just have to kind of go with what your comfortable with. The Avian world is so complicated that if we did EVERYTHING how experts say it should be done we would be tip toeing on eggs shells and not able to enjoy the bird itself! Good luck with him and hes a doll! I agree with Ronda too...DONT let him sit in his cage! I never do when I get a new bird and I find it goes much better for me that way Wink

Co-Admin

Number of posts : 160

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 pm

NO don't do what I did with putting a bird in their cage and leaving it there! lol Our TAG sweetheart had a very very bad flight to us and I was afraid to handle her being she had been through a bunch before she got to us, so I put her in her cage and let her out ever day of course but I never held her except for when I put her on her stand. It has taken me almost a year to get her to let me pet her willingly. NOW a cockatoo is different anyway! They love the attention! Our Cockatoo Casper had a bad flight as well lol, needless to say we will never ever ship another bird! But as soon as we got to the car with him we had him out and playing with him! Just as much as you want to, try not to give him soo much attention at the beginning that you can't give them down the line cause that is when they will become screamers and pickers. There are a few of us on here that own them and many that have owned birds in general so please ask away for anything you have concerns about!

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks Lyric, I told them I didn't want to pay extra for the stainguard so I hope they didn't put it on there.I searched for a name for a while and wanted to have something different,and I thought Canolli haven't heard that one so it stuck. Now when we get home tomorrow should I just put him in his cage and leave him alone for awhile or is ok to let him explore?

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:20 am

Make certain they did not put the Stainguard on the sofa or else you probably don't want to let Cannolli climb or sit on it or be around it at all.

You should let him have pellets and fresh water available all the time. Fruits and veggies can be given anytime too but try not to let it sit in the cage more than a couple of hours or it can spoil and make the bird sick. Also, nuts and seeds can be offered as treats. My bird loves scrambled eggs and cooked oatmeal, just make sure they are not hot enough to burn his crop- test it on your upper lip to make sure it wouldn't burn you before offering to your bird.

By the way, I just love his name- that's so cute! You'll be having so much fun with him- don't worry! And just let us know if you have more questions.
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks guys this makes me fel sooo much better.May made a year of me getting married and we got a 400.00 great set of pots and pans I was set to go buy a new set of stainless but wanted some advice first,Now we just got a new sofa set last week but I told them I did not want stainguard on it,should it be ok?And I am a candle freak also but will only burn them upstairs.One more question well I say one more but I will probably have dozens.Should I feed Canolli fruits and veggies along with his pellets only in the morning or morning and evening? Thanks guys soo much for the help....Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Well said Ronda. Yeah, there are lots of differing opinions on this topic. Lots of people on other forums say they got rid of all their teflon pans.
I also still cook with mine. My birds are not in the kitchen when I am cooking and I also use the vent fan over the stove when I am cooking. I am very careful to always monitor what I'm cooking and not to let it overheat or burn. I think you have to use caution and common sense.
I used to burn candles all the time before I learned it was bad for the birds. I never lost a bird because of it, but now I only burn candles occassionally and only in different rooms than the birds are in. I really watch what I use around them and don't use strong cleaning products around them. If I am cleaning a lot in a different room in the house I like to leave a window or door open for awhile to allow some fresh air in the house.
I have even heard of birds dying from the Stainguard coatings that is put on new furniture like sofas before you get it. They are definitely delicate creatures and you must always consider them whenever using anything or bringing anything into your home. Just try to be careful and use your own common sense.
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 pm

There is going to be all kinds of different opinions on this Jen. And there are facts to all of it. It's a matter of what you want to chance with your bird. Candles put off fumes as soon as you light them as the same with cleaning sprays, room deodorizer sprays, carpet sprays, anything like that. Birds have a different lung system than most animals. They are very sensitive to these kinds of things. IT CAN kill them. I myself have stopped using candles like I used to. I went through them like candy! Now as for cleaning sprays, I don't use them in the same room as the birds. I will go into the bathroom with the fan on and spray it on a cloth and than come in the living room and wipe things down.

As for non stick pans, I have had my one bird for 10 years now. We have never gotten rid of our pans. Teflon is said to be safe unless it gets to a high heat of around 525 degrees. If you have a good set of Teflon pans and you don't bake with them and don't leave the room while cooking to let a pan burn with something in it or let boiling water run dry in it than it should be fine. With the cheaper Teflon's (from Walmart and such) the teflon is not baked into the pan and it actually flakes off into the food which is not even good for humans. I used to sell Teflon pans for a living. I do know that there is a danger with them, but I also know that the good brands have the Teflon baked into the core and do not come off easily unless it reaches a certain heat. And it only reaches this heat if you leave the pan to burn or put it in the oven to bake with.

My Quaker is now 12 years old and has never had any problems. We also have a Goffin Cockatoo, African Grey, & a Cockatiel. We also leave the fan above the stove on when cooking to help with any fumes if there were any. I for one have not chosen to get rid of my non stick. It is something that you must look at all the facts and opinions and choose for yourself on what you feel is best for you and your bird.

Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Pots,Pans & Candles Help

Post by JenJen on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:31 pm

Do I really need to get rid of my non-stick cookware or just be real careful and also candles, can I not use them in the house at all? I keep getting different vibes about this and just want Canolli to be safe...Thanks Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down