Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions wanted! To breed or not to breed....

3 posters

Go down

Opinions wanted!  To breed or not to breed.... Empty Re: Opinions wanted! To breed or not to breed....

Post by Ronda Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Yes I agree, if you can socialize the bird as much as possible it will make a change easier on it. Like Jen said it will always have a mourning period for the loss of his/her mate which will become you and that is understandable, and it is actually very thoughtful that you have thought that far ahead and will socialize him/her for when that time comes!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions wanted!  To breed or not to breed.... Empty Re: Opinions wanted! To breed or not to breed....

Post by Lyric Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:22 am

I think if you allowed the bird to get used to other family members, your children for example, then it is fine if they ended up caring for it someday. If they want the responsibility, and are willing to give it the care it is used to, then why not? Of course the bird will go through a mourning period if you are no longer in it's life- they form strong bonds with the people in their lives. But if they are around the other people that will care for it someday it will be something familiar in their lives and less stressful. I hope this answers your question! Smile
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Opinions wanted!  To breed or not to breed.... Empty Re: Opinions wanted! To breed or not to breed/ Ronda

Post by alienpsychomom Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Hello, I just read your post and I have a question about it. I understand you would want the bird back if for some reason they cannot take care of it. I'm going to get a grey or eclectus soon. I had planned to socialize my children and others to the bird. Mainly for my children so if I should die or get too sick to take care of him he would be with someone he knows and has the knowledge to care of him. I thought it would be less stressful this way. In your opinion is there any reason that I have not thought of yet? Belive me I'm not arguing with you I need to know what to do when that day comes. I want what is best for the bird. Thanks

alienpsychomom
Postee
Postee

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:39 pm

That's awesome Jen! See I told you they would come from far away if they loved that type of bird anyway! I take it you branched out a little and posted for more than your state? I am happy that your baby found a good home!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:33 pm

I guess I started worrying too soon. We sold one of the babies today, a lady came from Nebraska to buy her. It sounds like one of my little ones is off to a great start. She has prior bird experience and doesn't smoke- big pluses in my book. Anyway, I'd still like to hear other peoples opinions on this topic- any breeders out there that want to chime in? Anyone?
I know some people breed birds for the money- I do it because I love the birds. I wanted a handfed baby grey for years. I couldn't afford it but I could afford two birds that were some of the last imported birds. They ended up producing my baby Lyric after over 10 years of being with me. He was so worth the wait!! I want other people out there to be able to have the experience of being owned by a grey. I think they are such special birds (not for everyone mind you, but for people that know what they are getting themselves into). I want the best for each and every one of them.
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks for your opinion Ronda! I knew you'd understand my situation! I think maybe I just haven't given it long enough yet. I guess it may take a while to find them their perfect home. I just want the best for them. I will try to branch out more on the ads I'm placing.
I was talking to my boyfriend about it last night and he said the sweetest thing- he told me if we ended up with a whole house full of little greys it would be okay, and they could all just climb on him and we would all be fine. I appreciated his vote of support because I really do want to breed them again!
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:15 pm

I totally see your point Jen and honestly if it were me, I know you don't want to ship and don't blame you one bit there! But you can broaden your horizon a little and advertise further than just right around you if you haven't already. I know for a fact that for my next bird which will probably be a Congo I am willing to drive to my neighboring states to get one. So advertise a little further than just your local paper. Screen the person just like you would anyone else, but that can get you out there a little further. I know I have people saved in my bookmarks for when I do go and finally get one that I have never contacted but have seen that they have birds and are in driving distance of how far I want to go. I also look for how many times this person has babies before I even contact them cause I don't want a parrot from a parrot mill. When you sell a bird do what I do with the rabbits, give them a care sheet and tell them that you will always take the bird back (no money refunded) in the case they couldn't take care of it or something happened. That's just my thought on it. Honestly if it were someone getting their first bird, I don't recommend they get one that already has problems especially a Grey. They are one person birds pretty much anyways. People who have experience with birds are the ones that normally take in those kind of birds, with the exception of some I know. But you know as well as I do, that the normal first time bird owner wants that baby to take care of and wants it to bond with them and not have a bunch of issues already. I say go for it at least one more breeding, but make sure you broaden yourself out a little so others can see you. Go to the site where I have my rabbits and make your own webpage. It's totally free! Let me know what you decide!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Opinions wanted!  To breed or not to breed.... Empty Opinions wanted! To breed or not to breed....

Post by Lyric Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:25 pm

I would like to ask people's opinions about this topic:
I have two pairs of Timneh greys that are more than willing to produce babies for me, but my problem is this, I am having trouble selling them. I am very particular about selling my babies because I really want them to go to a home that will love them as much as I do. I would wish that they will stay at whatever home they go to forever- not to be shuffled around or live in bad conditions. I want only the best for my babies of course because I love them so much. I am now hesitant to let them breed again- if I can't find good homes for the little ones. The parents love to go through the whole process- it gives them something to do. They might not be happy when I take the babies away at 3 weeks old but after a rest they seem more than willing to do it over again. I know there are unwanted birds out there that need good homes... is it better for me not to allow my pairs to breed to keep them from producing babies that either I can't sell or could end up eventually as unwanted?? It is a dilemna for me. I love to raise the babies and I want my breeding pairs to be happy and productive. I would like to have the babies make other people as excited and happy as I am about being owned by a grey... Plus, I've always heard that Timnehs are harder to come by, so I don't feel like I'd be saturating the market with them. I know times are tough right now for everyone so maybe that's why I'm having trouble but if someone really wants a bird they usually can find a way to afford it. What's your opinion about what I should do? Thanks for reading!
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down