Baby Hans Macaw

Go down

Re: Baby Hans Macaw

Post by Lyric on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Get some foot toys for the baby and give these or little treats to him to keep that little beak busy. Just give a firm "No, no bite" or whatever you like to say and replace your finger with something else. As the bird gets older and understands more what is going on you can begin to train him not to bite by telling him "no" giving a dirty look and putting him back in his cage for a 10 minute time-out. Ignore him during this time. Eventually he should catch on that biting will get him time away from you which he probably doesn't like.
This is my opinion in how you should handle the situation. You could try the time-outs now but if the bird is still little he may not understand yet what the problem is. Distraction should help. Good luck!
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Baby Hans Macaw

Post by birdbrain on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Hello everyone! I havent posted in a long time, sorry! I am looking for someone who owns a hans macaw. I bought a baby a few months ago, and he / she is about 3 days off of the formula and doing great, but he is mouthier than any other baby ive ever seen! By that I mean he has been biting like crazy! and for being such a small bird.. it HURTS ! What is the BEST way to teach it that testing his beak is ok, but hes going a little too far?

affraid <-- me being bit LOL !
birdbrain
birdbrain

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-09

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/vielmarehabandrescue

Back to top Go down