Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budgie Mutations

+2
Ronda
MissMarley
6 posters

Go down

Budgie Mutations Empty Re: Budgie Mutations

Post by justjoshin Fri May 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought generally, the word Parakeet refers to short body, long tail. I was always taught that Budgies, ringnecks, alexandrines, Quakers (or Monks), were all types of Parakeets.

justjoshin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri May 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Hello,

Please do not feel stupid at all. The Budgie is NOT a parakeet at all. We have known them to be a parakeet for years because of pet shops calling them that. There are only 2 REAL parakeets in the bird world. One is the ringneck and the other is the great Alexandrian parakeet. These are the ONLY TRUE parakeets. It is a shame that the pet shops have made the public think that a Budgie is a parakeet. Sorry for the misled info from the pet shops.

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mama2babygirl Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Ok guys, I'm gonna feel really stupid here , But are these birds the same as a parakeet? They look ALOT alike. Embarassed
mama2babygirl
mama2babygirl
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Angie if you happen to have pictures of them would you post them for us!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tari Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:18 am

Dang it I want one of each. lol And many of the ones not lister here. Like an albino budgie. That is my dream bird.
Tari
Tari
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Oh no hon, that's fine! I was seriously just curious. Take your time!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MissMarley Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Yeah, that's coming. Sorry, I've been really busy, I was surprised that I even got that much of the mutations done. I will get it up over the weekend though! Smile

MissMarley

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:38 am

Wow Devyn those are all pretty! I really like the cobalt ones. How big are they and what is their diet and temper?
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MissMarley Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 am

Dilution-
There are four different types of dilution. Either: greywing, full-body-color greywing, clearwing, or dilute. Budgies with the greywing, have grey markings instead of black, and coloring of the body feathers are half diluted.

Budgie Mutations V_greywing3 Budgie Mutations V_greywing2

In the full-body-color greywings, they also have grey markings instead of black. However, the full-body-color greywing's body feathers are bright, and not diluted.

Budgie Mutations Fbcgrey Budgie Mutations Fbcgreyblue

The clearwing budgie has very light, and sometimes no, markings on the head and wings. Like the full-body-color greywings, their body feathers are bright.

Budgie Mutations V_clearwing2 Budgie Mutations V_clearwing1

Dilute budgies have washed out coloring all over. The head and wing markings are extremely light, and the body color is almost completely diluted.

Budgie Mutations V_dilute1 Budgie Mutations V_dilute3

MissMarley

Back to top Go down

Budgie Mutations Empty Budgie Mutations

Post by MissMarley Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 am

Budgie Coloration Mutations

Normal base colors-
All budgies can be placed into one of two basic color varieties. Either they are yellow-based, or they lack the yellow pigment and are white-based. Generally, the base color is seen in the mask and down through the black markings on the head and wings. Normally, the feathers reflect blue. In yellow-based budgies, the blue of the body feathers mixes with the yellow pigment, which results in the bright green coloring. This is the most common variety. In white-based budgies, where there is no yellow pigment, the result is bright blue coloring. This is the second most common variety. The yellow-base is the dominant coloring, while the white-base is recessive.

Budgie Mutations V_yellowbase1 Budgie Mutations V_whitebase2

Dark factors-
The dark factor darkens the blue of the body feathers. A yellow-based budgie with a single dark factor will be a slightly darker than the normal green. This coloration is called "dark green." A green budgie with two dark factors will be an even darker, olive green color. This coloration is called "olive."

Budgie Mutations 1darkgreen Budgie Mutations 2darkgreen

A white-based budgie with a single dark factor will be a slightly darker blue than the normal. This coloration is called "cobalt." A blue budgie with two dark factors will be an even darker, grey-blue color. This coloration is called "mauve."

Budgie Mutations 1darkblue Budgie Mutations 2darkblue

Grey factors-
The grey is a color-adding factor, therefore, if a budgie has the grey factor, the grey is being added over the original coloring of the body feathers. This is a very strong factor that will dominate the underlying color.
The grey factor on a normal green budgie, turns the feathers a grey-green color.

Budgie Mutations V_greygreen1

The grey factor on a normal blue budgie turns the feathers a grey color.

Budgie Mutations V_greywhite1

Violet factors-
The violet factor is also a color-adding factor, though, it is not as strong as the grey. Sometimes the violet factor isn't easily visible on the budgie. Yellow-based budgies are very hard to see if they carry the violet factor. The violet factor darkens the body feathers similarly to the way a dark factor does on green budgies. A sky blue budgie with a single violet factor will just have a violet tinge. This will be most noticeable near the feet. As with the green, it is difficult to see the violet factor in a mauve budgie. A cobalt budgie with a violet factor, is the true violet.

Budgie Mutations V_violet1

MissMarley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down