Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plucking

Go down

Plucking Empty Plucking

Post by Joe Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:40 pm

In most cases feather picking is caused by a complex combination of physical and behavioral causes. Since I believe a great deal of plucking starts for physical reasons, I encourage a full veterinarian work-up at the onset of the problem. The presumption should not be made that the problem is simply behavioral.

However, even if picking starts for a purely physical reason, behavior complexities can continue the plucking beyond the resolution of the physical cause. The primary behavioral influence is attention paid to the bird when it is picking. A bird who starts plucking because of a simple insect bite may develop a habitual pattern if the owner pays attention to it every time it messes with its feathers. While picking birds certainly need nurturing and attention from their owners to feel secure, it is important not to give them that attention around their picking behavior.

I was talking to a gal about her birds feather destructive on her African Grey. A few years before, the bird's veterinarian had said that the problem had started because of malnutrition. The diet had been improved and the Grey had been on a good diet for at least a year or so, yet he still picked his feathers. As I was talking to his caregiver, I was able to see the bird in a mirror behind her. I noticed that he sat poised with a chest feather in his beak and whenever she made eye contact with him, he pulled it. The she gave him her full attention and groaned about him pulling his feathers. She needed to stop rewarding his picking with her attention. This is not easy with a Grey. I am convinced that they can be so sensitive to our energy that even if she just sighed and looked away, it could be reward enough for him. She had to actually work at convincing herself that she did not care if he picked his feathers.

Gradual change by itself should not cause enough of a trauma to start a feather picking episode. However, parrots who have been overprotected and poorly socialized may not react well to any new situation, especially if it happens suddenly. If the change seriously threatens the bird's sense of security, phobic behavior may result in feather mutilation. In young parrots, traumatic or aggressive handling can also be a factor in picking. It is important to protect any young bird from any threatening experience.

Some people drive their parrots crazy. Teasing, aggressive behavior, continual confrontation, or constant arguing from humans can cause insecurity in parrots that could lead to picking. Our major goal for our parrots should be to help them be secure in our homes.

Poor Early Socialization

Parrots are intelligent animals and much of their behavior is learned. Early socialization is not simply the number of people (or birds) that a young bird comes into contact with. It is the process by which they learn their social and survival skills. Basically, parrots do not automatically know how to adapt to their life in a living room. We need to teach them how to be good pets. If we don't guide their behavior from the time they would naturally start exploring their environment, parrots raised for the pet trade can begin to show serious behavioral dysfunction. These problems are rarely apparent until the young birds start to reach their independence stages. One of the manifestations of this behavioral confusion can be feather picking. It appears that most plucking related to poor early socialization will usually start by the time a parrot is 2 years old.

Behavioral "Cures" For Behavioral Picking

The majority of people are under the erroneous presumption that their parrots must be unhappy if they pick. This is not necessarily true. I know of many contented parrots that play happily, love attention from their human flock, chatter loquaciously, and pick their feathers. The most important advice I can give of plucking birds, whether it is from physical or behavioral causes (or both), is to totally ignore their bird when it picks. Give him lots of love and nurturing attention but ignore the picking. Parrots can be highly manipulative and if they receive attention for a behavior, they will continue it for attention as long as we give them an investment in it. Fussing over a parrot when it picks at its feathers is almost a guarantee that the behavior will become a habit.

As with all behavioral problems, treating the symptoms is less effective than solving the underlying cause. The underlying cause of most behavioral problems in companion parrots is a confused bird in control of his own life doing a miserable job of it. With very confused or phobic birds who pluck, working to increase their sense of security is essential. Giving clear messages with verbal cues and defined periods of attention and cage time-outs will help develop a sense of independence in spoiled birds.

Protecting a parrot from traumatic experiences is essential, however, over-protected parrots who have not been introduced to change in safe, secure ways are often feather pickers. Gradually setting rules, providing behavioral guidance, and teaching a bird to accept change and new adventures under close supervision is imperative to their well-being. Working with behavioral pickers will usually make a significant difference but may never completely prevent future episodic picking during times of confusion and stress.
Joe
Joe
Joe

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down