Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will my quaker get along with other bird species?

4 posters

Go down

Will my quaker get along with other bird species? Empty Re: Will my quaker get along with other bird species?

Post by ziggy Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Jay I agree with you again. There is no reason to change it. It goes back to the old saying" IF it aint broke dont FIX it." I had a quaker years ago the was head over heals with a Nanday Conure. They lived in the same cage and would actually look for each other when one was out of the room. This is the point I was making earlier, Quakers are a community flocking bird and they need the others for social skills. I feel that if you have a Quaker with your Keet leave him with it. By splitting them up may have a back lash effect. He is comfy with his companion then if it was me I would just leave it alone.

Mario(Ziggy)
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Will my quaker get along with other bird species? Empty Re: Will my quaker get along with other bird species?

Post by Jay Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:14 pm

If the two get along that well. It would be crazy to split them up.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:58 am

Jay wrote:Quakers like to be the center of attention. I know Molly thinks she can take anything in the house. I have seen her go after our 115lb black lab.lol
If our tag flies to her cage we have to be quick cause she goes straight for the toes. So I would be very careful about putting any other bird near your Quaker. Blue might be different I don't know Molly is green.

sky and tweets are to the point where they can be trusted together. sky will defend but never attacks. at first she would attack but no longer. at times i can catch them pruning each other lol. tweets has full run of her territory and vise versa. everything i have ever read about this states never do this but if its happening and has been for a long while who am i to break up friendship? sky is attached to me strongly but also has a friendship with tweets thats also strong. i was amazed to see this happen because it defies alot of current materials out there. there are times i think alot of the current literature needs to be reexamined. but if shy were green im willing to bet things would not be like this. i think cc would have ate tweets up.
OHSNAP!
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 pm

Quakers as for most birds will go after the toes because they can get them in to there mouth. Quackers and most smaller birds are prone to attack the toes fast because they can not get the other birds around the neck. This happens with my Sun Conure when my Amazons get near him. It is simular to the David and Goliath, the smaller the bird the quicker and the best way to make a larger bird retreat is to go after the area that they know they can do the most damage the fastest.

Quakers should be able to get along with others. Quakers are a social bird and are apart of a large flock in the wild. There is a so called dominate bird that will take control of the flock. This maybe what some are refuring to. Quakers generally are a bird that will get along with other birds of different species. Quakers willl defend themselfs to the death and if they fell cornered or that they are in danger they will lash out at another bird. This is in general, but there are exceptions to the rule.

Ziggy
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Quakers like to be the center of attention. I know Molly thinks she can take anything in the house. I have seen her go after our 115lb black lab.lol
If our tag flies to her cage we have to be quick cause she goes straight for the toes. So I would be very careful about putting any other bird near your Quaker. Blue might be different I don't know Molly is green.
Jay
Jay
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by OHSNAP! Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Yet another example of how a blue is more docile than greens. Good info coming out.
OHSNAP!
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tari Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Quakers for the most part well not do well with other birds. However blue quakers are more laid back then the greens. Even my blue is calm enough to be around other birds.
But you can not let them live together. Quakers like to eat toes.
Yes there is exceptions like birds that are raised together from day one. But in most cases a quaker you have had a year or so well be very protetive of anything they think is theirs from other birds and even people.
Tari
Tari
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female
Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Will my quaker get along with other bird species? Empty Will my quaker get along with other bird species?

Post by OHSNAP! Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Thats a good question. Generally i would think not but there are exceptions as always...check my signature. In my case the answer is YES! Our blue quaker gets along famously with a parakeet. Tweetmaster (budgie) was bought from a local pet shop in a giant glass cage with 50 other keets inside. We observed them for some time before deciding on tweets. We chose him for several reasons. He is social (kissing every other bird his face met), he is vocal and active.

Since he is so social he tried like mad to be buddies with our quaker. At first the quaker hated him as she is only social with people. I put a towel on the back of a chair and placed the quaker there. Not long after that tweets landed there and they bickered a bit. The keet actually stands up to her when she starts bullying. After a while the quaker gave up and tweets became her shadow. They can even reside in the same cage now without any fights erupting. Sometimes tweets climbs in Skies cage and we cant get him out so there he stays until he comes out by himself.

Now they are good friends but will a quaker and a grey get along? HELL NO! Our grey goes after her like she is a chicken leg. Sam knows not to touch her now and Sky has been bitten once so she stays away from him. Wish i could figure out how to make them get along. All in all it depends on the birds in question and how they were raised and such.
OHSNAP!
OHSNAP!
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down