Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about new baby

3 posters

Go down

Question about new baby Empty Re: Question about new baby

Post by Mischief Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks Mario and Ronda
All makes sense and stuff I know. I must say I have just realised that I was a little insecure and things have been so easy with the TAG compared to Mischief who still gives me trouble when the whim catches him.
the baby has settled in and seems very happy and content. S/he is eating seeds, fruit, veggies and all the other stuff I have given it. I have even had the oppurtunity to give it a very list water mist and even that went well. S/he is very responsive and squeaks when I talk to s/he.

Thanks Tammy
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Hello,

Very well put Ronda. I would like to add is that a bird has to be a bird first then a pet. They need to learn to play and ammuse them self when you are not home. I love to play and spend as much time with all the birds but with so many I can not spend the time that I would like with each one of them. They need to know that they can not be the ruler of the house early. I would say Tammy to play with him/her for a hour at night and before you put him/her to bed talk to him softly from the outside of the cage. This give them a false sence of security that you are there but he/she has the freedom to play or to just listen to you. Remember that they are a bird first then a pet after that. As much as we would like them to be a human at times. It is the same thing for a human baby to much holding and babing they become reliant on you for every time the want something. I love to spend time with the birds but if you SPOIL them you have a monster on your hand later on.

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:59 am

Hi Tammy! SweetHeart was 6 months old when we got her and we didn't really have that problem, but Casper our 13 week old Goffin Cockatoo we are still feeding formula in the evenings. We feed him softened pellets with apple juice, I use the ones for Toddlers cause it has less sugar in it. He has a mix of seed and pellets at all times just as all our birds do in their cages and on their play tops. We also offer fruits and veggies. The soaked pellets get replaced very often for they can spoil but this was a suggestion from the breeder that is working well getting him used to eating the pellets. He does look forward to his formula in the evening but than again he still is a big baby lol. I would leave the seed and pellets out at all times.
As for the time spent with your baby, I will tell you what I have read, and I have read this in many different places and they all say the same thing. If you give your baby too much attention right off the bat, and than you get back to your normal ruitine and you don't spend as much time as you used to with your baby, they can develop behavioral problems. And what if you were to get sick, will the baby know how to play by itself? Or if you have to leave how will it entertain itself? I think that was our Quaker's problem, we got her when she was 3 and abused, and she never learned to play by herself. She looks for my husband to play with her, and if she doesn't get that attention than she is very squawky and gets aggravated. As much as we want to pick up our new baby (Cockatoo) we try to leave him in his cage as much as we can or on his play top to learn to play by himself. He loves loves loves attention! But we have read that if you give too much and than the new starts to wear off, they will think you are being mean to them and don't love them as much and get all kinds of behavioral problems and for Cockatoo's that's where the plucking and screaming come in. I know AG's don't really scream, but they can get to plucking. I would give your baby as much time as you think you can devote to him even in the future. If it's an hour a day or night than keep it that way. If they are out of their cage and on a play top and you talk to them while they are out, like if you are cooking or watching tv or something than that is great too, it doesn't always have to be one on one contact. That is always good to do no doubt! But only do what you think you can offer down the road that way they don't think they did anything wrong when it starts to slack off or when it can't be done.
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Question about new baby Empty Question about new baby

Post by Mischief Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:55 pm

Please help me with how much a three month old TAG should be eating?

I am not bsure if my baby is getting enough. In the mornings I give the baby some soaked food which the breeder gave me when I got the baby. SHe also gave me the pooridge handfeeding food which I offer but baby will have a little and then not take anymore. The other food I leave in the cage for baby to eat. I also have started putting mixed seed in the cage. Baby arrived with only sunflower seeds. Also giving apple and carrot and resorted to mixing baby mixed vegetable in with the soaked food. Baby seems happy amd adjusting fine. Climbing all over and loves to be with me out of the cage. When I am nearby I get little squeaks continuously. I talk softly and hold gently which promotes the squeaks.

I am also a little afraid of spoiling with too much cuddling, but then also feel guilty about maybe not giving enough attention. Baby prefers to be with me then in the cage, and is very tame. No biting and responds very well when I talk and when bedtime arrives there is some bleating when I put baby back into the cage, but not long and has settled in for the night. Is the crying for more food or as I suspect attention? How much time should I spend with baby?

Thanks
Tammy
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content