Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

breeding

3 posters

Go down

breeding Empty Re: breeding

Post by ziggy Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 am

Hello,

I have to agree with Janice. It is up to the parents to allow you to touch, look, or even hold there young. My cockateils right now just hatched 3 eggs last week. If the mom is on the babies she will hiss but allow me to check the babies. If dad is on the babies forget about it. He will hiss and lundge at me. All birds are different. She might want to check them and see what kind of parents they are. One thing I have to say is thay the tale of "If you touch the babies the mother will reject it" That is a olds wives tale. There is also rumors that if you touch a baby bird the mother can smell a human touch and then never feed the baby again. These are all just rumors. A bird has NO SENCE of smell at all. So they can not tell if you touched a baby by smelling your scent. Old tales that have no meaning at all. If a parent see's you touching there baby they may become very upset that they will hurt or kill the baby. I check on the babies every 8 hours to make sure that the mom and dad are feeding them well. So if she keeps looking at the babies it should be fine. I hold the babies everyday and have in the past with many other birds and never lost a baby because of the mom rejecting them because they were touched or held by a human. I would tell your friend to just watch them and if a parent becomes nasty or wants to hurt the baby then she should remove the baby and start to feed them from that point till they are fully weaned. I have had to do this from time to time. Just tell her to watch the parents and see how they act then she can make her choice from there actions.

I hope this helps you out

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BustersMom Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 pm

I have found that it depends on the parents. I had a pair of cockatiels that would let me look in the box, play with the babies, etc., and they didn't skip a beat. They still fed and took care of them until I pulled them for handfeeding. My goffin parents are the same. I've also had some that will destroy eggs, abandon or kill babies, etc., if I even peeked once into the nestbox. Sorry that's not a lot of help, but that's been my experience.
BustersMom
BustersMom

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

breeding Empty breeding

Post by kimmie_30 Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 am

ok i was wondering i have this friend who cockatiel has hatch 2 babies so far. i kept telling her i didnt think it was a good idea to mess with the moma and the babies, they are in a nesting box and she keeps opening it up and looking at them my question is, do you think it is ok to do something like that also she has handle them at least once that i have known of. i know that cant be good and i told her. please help, i dont want the mom stressing out and her killing the babies, i want to make sure by opening the box that it wont hurt the babies, me in general i wouldnt but she said it was ok. just want your thought on that.
kimmie_30
kimmie_30
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down