Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker!

3 posters

Go down

Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker! Empty Re: Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker!

Post by Alma2187 Thu May 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Ifeed him twice a day in the morning when i get up and around 5pm. I do take him out of his cage alot but i let my son play with him and my hubby handle him once in a while too. My hubby likes talking to him more than handle him, yesterday my bird was being a little agressive with him like bitting his mostage and his ears not hard but he would squak...i was impress because he still just a baby and with me he is very sweet i can do almost anything to him and he wont dare to bite me yet. but yeah i should let other people handle him more because i see he is getting attach to me way too fast. I do give him lots of attention everytime i pass by i talk to him. Im just IN LOVE with him. lol... But Thanks again i will fall your advices. =)

Ronda wrote:Amanda let me tell you one more really really good piece of advice that I would suggest for anyone! When you are getting a new baby like this and this is any bird at all, make sure that all their time is not spent with you, socialize them, and make sure they learn how to play with toys!!! I can't express that enough! If they don't learn to play with toys they will need you to occupy their time, while that may not seem like a bad idea, it is. They won't know how to play with toys and will need you for their enjoyment, if they don't get it they can turn into a very loud bird and a feather picker. Our Quaker never learned to play and depends on my husband for her enjoyment. She is loud and thank god she hasn't plucked but she can be very clingy to him and only him. They are known to be a one person bird, so please make sure you socialize him! And stick to a feeding schedule, don't just feed any time they open their mouths. If I did that with my Goffin I would be feeding him all day long instead of just the nightly feedings now lol. Hopefully either Bustersmom (which was my breeder) and she used to raise Quakers can come on here and help with how often he should be fed if you don't know. Mario and Lyric may know as well. Hopefully they will show their faces before too long lol. But just wanted to tell you about those things cause you can end up with a troubled bird down the line if he doesn't learn to play on his own. Trust me it's not easy.
Alma2187
Alma2187
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker! Empty Re: Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker!

Post by Ronda Wed May 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Amanda let me tell you one more really really good piece of advice that I would suggest for anyone! When you are getting a new baby like this and this is any bird at all, make sure that all their time is not spent with you, socialize them, and make sure they learn how to play with toys!!! I can't express that enough! If they don't learn to play with toys they will need you to occupy their time, while that may not seem like a bad idea, it is. They won't know how to play with toys and will need you for their enjoyment, if they don't get it they can turn into a very loud bird and a feather picker. Our Quaker never learned to play and depends on my husband for her enjoyment. She is loud and thank god she hasn't plucked but she can be very clingy to him and only him. They are known to be a one person bird, so please make sure you socialize him! And stick to a feeding schedule, don't just feed any time they open their mouths. If I did that with my Goffin I would be feeding him all day long instead of just the nightly feedings now lol. Hopefully either Bustersmom (which was my breeder) and she used to raise Quakers can come on here and help with how often he should be fed if you don't know. Mario and Lyric may know as well. Hopefully they will show their faces before too long lol. But just wanted to tell you about those things cause you can end up with a troubled bird down the line if he doesn't learn to play on his own. Trust me it's not easy.
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alma2187 Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Well Thank you Ronda and Mario for your advices i defenetly willtry them! =) And yes im working only on the "step up" for now and iving him lots of kisses...I have knowrest that he enjoys being close to me, he likes biting my chain, my finger rings and playing with my hair. I ave come to understand him when he is hungry yesterday i was giing him kisses and he started opening his mouth and opening his wingslike they do to their parents and i got ride up and prepared his food and wow he sure was hungry after that he was so happy and fell a sleep on me! Today i was giving him little pieces of puffed wheat grain cereal (dry and no suggar added) after he would "step up" and i guess he understood the meaning because he did it like 3 times. =) that was a progress! lol... Well the second time i had to show him what i had in my finer for him if he would do what i say and sure it worked! Thanks all for your advices.
Alma2187
Alma2187
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Tue May 20, 2008 11:57 pm

Yes he will surely get used to the noise in the house no worries about that. It's my hubby and myself along with our 12 year old daughter 9 year old son, 4 dogs, 3 cats, and now a cockatiel, African Grey, and a Goffin Cockatoo. We have had her for 9 years, you can read her story in the Quaker room so won't write that again. But as for her drinking just look occasionally, they do get allot of water from the formula you are feeding so they don't have to have that right now, it is very good to offer it though so keep it there and keep it fresh for bacteria grows quick. Their diets are pretty much just like a parrots, you can go to the food room on this site and see the foods you can give and the foods to stay away from. Our molly loves everything we eat. We feed her some seed and she mainly gets her pellets and stuff that we eat every day. When you are trying to teach them something I am assuming at this young of an age you are just working on the "step up" command. Just praise them very well. Tell her what a good girl she is when she does it. Find something like a piece of fruit or maybe a peanut (unsalted) or something that isn't bad for them and only give it to them when you are trying to teach them and only give it when she has made an improvement. If you are going to offer pellets which I do suggest you do, because they are a good way of getting what they need, seeds are ok, but they are very fattening and Quakers can get overweight quickly. They are fine to offer here and there through out the day just not as an all day item. The pellets you leave out all day for them. I would get the parrot/conure size (that's what we feed) and since she is still soo young, soak them in a little bit of apple juice so they are kind of soft and she will really start to eat them. You'll be able to tell too if she is eating them. Than as she gets to eating them well go ahead and don't soak them anymore. Just make sure you only put a little bit in there cause you will have to change them often due to heat and them souring. On the bathing, the way we got Molly used to it cause she had never had a bath before we got her at the age of 3, we put a pan out like a 9x13 and put an inch of water in it or so. Than we acted like we were having fun in it and splashing our hand around in it. She wanted to have fun too, so she came over and played like we were. It may take them a little bit to warm up to the idea but keep trying. Or you can try a water bottle and lightly mist them. They will start to open their feathers and let you spray them inside their feathers and that's where they really need it! Keep us updated on everything!! And please don't hesitate to ask!!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by greenwinged Tue May 20, 2008 11:53 pm

Try putting him in a baby tube, my three small bird hate the big tube but the love the baby tube. I think it becouse the tube so big and there so small. Or you could try a spray bottle, see if that help him get use to water.

Oh, I forgot to say I'm from florida( but sadly I don't live there anymore) but I lived on the opposite side where the golf of mexico is.
greenwinged
greenwinged
Official Parrot Lover!
Official Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker! Empty HI

Post by Alma2187 Tue May 20, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi Greeenwinged! And Thank you! =)
Alma2187
Alma2187
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Alma2187 Tue May 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Thanks Ronda... This web site is Awsome congrats this was a great idea! Well i have herd people saying that its better to get a cockatiel to start than a parrot because they are wild and can bite, and i have 2 kids...But again i think it will be alright because i got Jalen with only 7 weeks and he should have more than enough time to get use to my kids and the noise in the house... Right? oh! I wanted to ask which treat its best for Quakers when you trying to teach them something? I havent bought anything yet because i been feeding him formula which supostly i have like a week and half to go with formula and some cockatiel mix food and i put water also in his cage, but i havent seen him drinking water yet. =( i been trying to get him to take a bath also and he is afraid of the water... any advice? Thank you all
Alma2187
Alma2187
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by greenwinged Tue May 20, 2008 11:29 pm

HI and WELCOME! sunny
greenwinged
greenwinged
Official Parrot Lover!
Official Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Tue May 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Well welcome Amanda and family! My husband and I have a quaker among other parrots. Our Quaker Molly was our very first and they are a great beginner parrot! This is our site that we created for people just like yourself and we are all here to help in any way that we can! The people on here are very friendly and I'm sure you will make great friends! This site doesn't have a ton of members yet, but the ones that are here I value a great deal! We have only been up and running just a few months now and this forum is slowly filling with information along with questions that hopefully everyone will get some kind of answers from. We are very glad you joined our family here and look forward to hearing all your questions, concerns, break throughs, and sometimes the walls you come against! So just ask away and have some fun!
Again Welcome!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker! Empty Hi Everyone! Im a beginner, fisrt time mommy of a baby Quaker!

Post by Alma2187 Tue May 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi To everyone!

Im so glad i have found this great site. I have learned so much about Quaker parrots in only 2 days in this site! Is so much fun and i hope i make new friends in here that have a parrot like me so we can share stories and experiences. Well my name is Amanda and im 21 years old and i have 2 kids on my own, my son Angel that he is turning 3 on December and my daughter who is only 9 months and her name is Rosa Leigh. Since i was a little girl i wanted to have my own parrot, i lived in Puerto Rico for 8 years and i used to have on my backyard all type of animals you can imagen but i never had my own parrot and one of my cousin use to have a one big and beautiful colors and great personality, but i never touvhed him because i was afraid of him he had a big mouth lol... since then i dreamed about mine. But i recently moved to a new home with my fiancee and my kids and now that i have space and time i decided to bring one home and i dont regret it! I know it will bring me so many years of joy. Im a person who get stress out and depress easly and i know my new baby can help me with that and fullfil that emptyness i have inside of me. Well i named my baby Quaker JALEN which means Bird of light, i search online for the name and i liked the meaning, my fiancee said that name sounds like for a human but so what? If they are almost like us and super smart, right? Jalen its around 7 weeks old and i brought him home only 3 days ago now, im a beginner and totally new in this but im not affraid because i been racing animals since i was a little girl and i mean all type of animals! Before i decided to bring Jalen i did my research to learn a little more about them and i know he will teach me so much because they are a little box full of surprises! I was born in miami and race in Puerto Rico i came back at the age of 13 and since i been living in florida, things been good and bad... for example the gas wayyy to expensive!! lol...Soon i will ask all my question in the forum i hope to see you guys around to chat some more if anyone is interested to be my friend please Aim me by Yahoo at Alma2187@yahoo.com or e-mail me. Xoxo Amanda
Alma2187
Alma2187
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down