Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody got any information on caiques?

3 posters

Go down

Anybody got any information on caiques? Empty Anybody got any information on caiques?

Post by Siobhan Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:13 am

I have recently rescued a caique who had been living in a garden shed. He was named Freak by his previous owners, and was returned to the breeder because he was too loud!

I have looked on the internet, and all I can find is pretty much the same article on all the web sites, slightly rephrased. Does anyone have a caique? or know anyone with one?

My questions are the usual, do they have odd behaviours or quirks? what sort of diet should he be on? He eats pellets and sprouted beans and veggies at the moment. Oh and a seed mix occasionally. Do they have any specific diet requirements I should know about different from other parrots?

Any help would be appreciated for the little fellow Very Happy

Siobhan
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Anybody got any information on caiques? Empty Re: Anybody got any information on caiques?

Post by Ronda Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:54 am

Siobhan, I found some stuff. The first thing I found were some people talking about their personalities. So here are those:

Some Caique Personality traits from the Caique Mailing List:
"Caiques are fun, entertaining, full of beans, and they are flying can openers. Well, they sort of fly, more like flying bricks. They require a firm sort of discipline or they will walk all over you. And if they sense fear they will chase you all over the house. Terracotta chases my daughter all over the house." ~ Gina W.

"Caiques are clowns and high-action birds. Maybe I wouldn't recommend them as a "first time bird", but I can't think of any other bird I would either, they ALL require time, patience, a willingness to not have a perfectly spotless house (ever again), firmness, gentleness, and I'll say it, a lot of money. Birds of any sort cost much more in both initial outlay and upkeep expenses than do most other house pets. Cages, food (high quality pellets, fresh veggies, etc.) toys, vet care (astronomical in relation to cats and dogs) some damage to house, toys again, travel cages, more food, better vacuum cleaner, pet-sitters, grooming, more toys, etc." ~ Heidi B.

"These birds are nonstop bundles of energy. They MUST have a LARGE cage and a playgym. They need constant supervision when out of the cage. They eat and drink like nothing I could ever have imagined.
My little Zeek loves to wrestle with my hands while laying on his back. I bounce my hand across the carpet, and he bounces after it. He also likes to be chased and bounces away laughing. These are very intelligent birds. Zeek whistles loudly for me if I leave him for a few seconds on the play gym. Sometimes he will come looking for me. He can be loud, especially when water is running. Don't forget that if you purchase a caique you will have it for 30+ years! I don't think it is right to disrupt a bird's life and home and sell it, if possible to avoid it." ~ Jenny E.

"I have a 2 ˝ year old WBC, Cricket, who has become the center of the household. She's a handful and requires lots of patience, but so sweet and funny as well as challenging. You will need lots of toys, lots of climbing room, and lots of patience are essential. The rewards are tremendous.
Cricket has a bit of a short fuse (Donald Duck-like temper, with lots of bluff) and does not like to be thwarted (from chewing electric cords, chasing the dogs, ending hands-on playtime, etc.), but she comes around quickly if we're insistent and refuse to be intimidated." ~ Barbara G.

"They can have a temper. You have to learn to read their body language. If a caique says no or not now, he means it. I think we get into most trouble when Roscoe says no and we go right ahead with our plans; leads to trouble every time. Take the time to figure him out, because he is not going to try to figure you out." ~ Dorothy C.

"We love our female BHC, Bandi. She is 2 ˝ now. Not all caiques or parrots are alike, as I hate to generalize, but here are my pros and cons.
Pros: Bandi is social and loves people (although some caiques do not like people outside the family). She is bonded to both my husband and I. She is cuddly, playful, and sweet. She plays with most toys, likes a variety of toys (acrylic, soft woods, ones easily shredded, kabobs or cardboard, plastic). Eats a lot! (likes most everything). She is smart.
Cons: If you want to call them that. Needs lots of supervision out of cage - tends to like to get adventurous and start exploring places she shouldn't! Messy eater (most caiques fling or shake off food). Stubborn at times/strong willed. Likes to know where flock members are at all times (hubby and I and our other fids) so if one goes out of sight she gets anxious and tends to call out or whistle to find out where we are (used to scream but we trained that out, substituting other calls or whistling back and forth). ~ Lin

"Nothing prepared us for our little Buttons. Oh, I LOVE HIM TO DEATH!, but he is so different from our other birds… very high activity level, always getting into mischief (in fact, his first phrase that he learned was "what are you doing?). I have found that I love this little bird more than I thought I could love anything, other than may husband! However, we do have some challenges… Buttons goes through moods where he wants nothing more than to rip my face off… I still have a scar on my top lip to prove that! For some reason he gets very aggressive at times and it took me a little while to be able to read him… Now, when I see those eyes pin, his shoulders hunch and hear this little huffing noise I know to back off! Fortunately my husband can handle him at these times, to get him back in his cage for a little cooling off period. As of yet we have not found out what triggers these moods... we're still working on that. But since I have learned to carefully read his body language, I have not gotten bit." ~ Holly

"Of my six caiques, four are excellent fliers. I would put them up against any for speed and agility. My smallest one is a 2 year old female and Kendra is quite an acrobatic flier. The other two are only recently flighted and older, 5 and 13, and probably have never flown. We are working on them. Caiques may be chunky in build but do not underestimate them." ~ Heather K.

"I have had Bailey for two years and I have never seen hormonal behavior yet. Bails has been the same old bird as ever, just don't take a pen away from him!! He goes crazy, and does the mad pig squeal ( Cleo's pig squeal). I just love to hear that… reminds me of a two year old that isn't getting his way. He is always ready to come out of his cage and play, and see what he can get into." ~ Betty B.

"When Rio wants to play and I want to put him up, he can hang onto me for dear life! He is so funny. He'll be hanging on to my fingers so tight that I can't pry his feet off without being afraid I'll hurt him. I even use food or treats, but he has no interest in them if he really wants to play. I usually have to trick him by trying to get him to go after my other hand which I'm holding out so he'll have to jump off one hand to go after the other. It's not really a problem for me. I just think it's funny how he tries so hard to stay on my hand. Rio thinks I'm the best playgym there is!!
Something else that's really cute about Rio is how he loves to sleep with his little stuffed chipmunk. He'll bring it out of his tent (on the floor of his cage) during the day, but he always takes it back in when he goes to bed. He wrestles with it and fusses at it. And he'll be on his back holding the chipmunk up on his feet. Caiques are so fun and entertaining." ~ Julie P.

"Not all caiques love everyone. I have one who loves everyone and one who will bite if they try to pick him up. I think it depends on the personality of the bird." ~ Janet T.

[hr]
Here is a link for a Caique Manuel- http://caiquesite.com/Manual/1_Introduction.htm

Here is a link on their foods- http://caiquesite.com/Foods/foods_for_caiques.htm

I am hoping Siobhan that someone else will join that owns one of these! I'm sorry I can't supply more for you as far as personal experience goes. I did put up in the Caique room some more info about them as well. Let me know if you need me to keep looking for you!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Anybody got any information on caiques? Empty Re: Anybody got any information on caiques?

Post by Ronda Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Here is another site as well that may help, there seems to be allot of common questions at the bottom of the page that he answers on this link.

http://www.cleos-corner.com/CaiqueInfo.html
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm

This is brilliant Thank you so much. So much of this describes my little monkey so well.

Ronda wrote:
"They can have a temper. You have to learn to read their body language. If a caique says no or not now, he means it. "

Definitely Beaker... he is hysterically funny when he throws a tantrum, because he is so small but thinks he rules the roost!

Ronda wrote:
Bandi is social and loves people. Likes to know where flock members are at all times (hubby and I and our other fids) so if one goes out of sight she gets anxious and tends to call out or whistle to find out where we are (used to scream but we trained that out, substituting other calls or whistling back and forth). ~ Lin
Yes this is him too... he LOVES us, totally, all of us and he gets upset if he cant see us. If he hears the greys voices coming from anywhere other than their cage he gets really excited!

Ronda wrote:
he is so different from our other birds… very high activity level, always getting into mischief (in fact, his first phrase that he learned was "what are you doing?).
Beaker also says What are you doing.. but he really seems to mean "what are you doing... can I play too?"

Thank you again Ronda!
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 pm

No problem at all! I just wish this could have come first hand! But I found others that have them and did a little research and glad it helped you some! That's what we are here for!! Hopefully as this forum grows there will be some others that own them! That or maybe I'll just have to buy one lol
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Oh you HAVE to buy one! They are soooo cute. You have no idea how adorable they are. I have just been watching Beaker wrestling with a little teddy bear which of course is bigger than him. I think he won, the poor teddy didnt stand a chance clown
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BustersMom Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:30 pm

I had a BH Caique that I raised from a baby that I was going to use as a future breeder. She was definitely a card! I just sold her to another breeder. She would walk upside down on her perch from one side of the cage to the other. While she was here, she was on a mixed seed/pellet diet. I don't think they require any specialized diet - seed or pellet. Caiques can be loud when they want to be. Figi could be pretty loud when she wanted to be!, but even though she was a handfed baby and future breeder, she was the loudest when she wanted to be let out of her cage. They definitely have a distinctive personality - you just have to figure out what personlity yours has! Rolling Eyes
BustersMom
BustersMom

Female
Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 am

Yes he can be loud, but usually if he whistles and we answer him, he is happy to chatter back. Its only if we ignore him he starts screaming. He also learned how to open his cage so we had to put a lock on it. Problem is now he gets hold of the lock and rattles for all he is worth. Thats actually louder than the screaming!

Honestly I think the budgies are louder than he is, and bird noises dont bother me 95% of the time. I invested in cordless phones so I can just move away from them if I want to make a phone call Smile
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:46 pm

lol wise choice on the cordless phone lol. Molly (Quaker) knows how to talk up a storm! But if I get on the phone she just yells away! lol
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum