Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips on cleaning your cage

4 posters

Go down

Tips on cleaning your cage Empty Re: Tips on cleaning your cage

Post by ziggy Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Hello,

I have to disagree with using any chemical except VINEGAR. There are studies that the long time effects of using so called BIRD SAFE products are hurting birds over a long term use. I would say it is like a person using aluminum for cooking. It will not hurt you right now but over time there are proven facts that it has a effect on us. Like altimmers for an example. I use only water and vinegar (white) only. I have never had a problem with it. My look is why spend all the money on the chemicals and why chance the effects later on. This is only my opinion but remember alot of people turn to me for the advise that I give. There are many people here and other forums that call me on the phone for the advise.

Thanks Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi Mischief! I really don't know, I'm in the US. I would think you could order it online but you'd have to pay a lot for shipping charges. Try Drs Foster and Smith and see what the shipping charges would be to you... It wouldn't hurt to ask them.
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischief Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:56 am

Can anyone tell me if Poop Off or Pet Focus are available here is South Africa. I have not been abale to find it anywhere.
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks Jen! I will have to look into that especially now that I have the cockatoo!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Good advice Ronda. I haven't used Pet Focus, but I have used Poop-off. It is great for getting poop out of carpet or off furniture. It has a pleasant scent and the bottle has a built in scrub brush for use on hard to remove dried on poop. I got mine from Drs. Foster and Smith, www.DrsFosterSmith.com, that is a great source for bird products of any kind.
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Tips on cleaning your cage Empty Tips on cleaning your cage

Post by Ronda Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:17 pm

This is just tips on cleaning your cage. Some people may do it more, some less.

The anticipation of seeing your bird in his new home makes it fun to purchase a new bird cage. Somehow the thought of cleaning bird cages afterwards doesn't always enter our mind as we compare one cage to another. I submit that thinking about cleaning your cage should be considered as you decide which cage will be best for you and your bird. Depending on the cage size it may be necessary to take it outside for washing so be sure your assembled cage can be moved through doorways. Consider the finish of the cage and overall design for ease of keeping it clean, as suggested below.

Cleaning Your Bird's Cage
Tips For Maintaining a Healthy Home For Your Bird

Cleaning bird cages can be broken down into simple tasks done on a regular schedule. Approaching your tasks in this way will keep your bird clean, healthy and comfortable. And it will save you time and energy. There is another advantage to adhering to a cleaning schedule; that is, insuring that the monetary investment in your cage will last for many years. The time may come when you wish to get a different cage so keeping your present one in good condition may offer you the opportunity to sell it as pre-owned.

Dirty cages lead to a host of problems, not the least of which can lead to serious health issues for your bird. Here is a guideline for daily, weekly and monthly cleaning.

Daily Cleaning

Change the cage paper or remove droppings and food debris.
Clean food and water bowls with soap and water, or put them in the dishwasher. Make sure bowls are rinsed well and dry before returning them to the cage. I have a double set of bowls for all my cages. I remove water bowls for cleaning at night and replace them with clean bowls so my birds are never without water. Fresh food bowls are also removed at night so all the bowls can be cleaned in the dishwasher to be ready for use the next day.
Wipe down surfaces ... in this case it means spot cleaning surfaces of the cage, bars, grates, perches and any toys that have become soiled. You can spray the surfaces with Poop-Off or water to soften the debris and then wipe with a cloth or paper towel. There are good bird-safe cage cleaners like Poop-Off and Pet Focus to make this task easy and hygienic. My cages are powder-coated with a somewhat glossy finish that is easy to clean ... droppings and food matter are easily removed.

Weekly Cleaning

If you use paper to line your cage tray then removing the tray once a week to wash with a damp cloth and cage cleaner should be done to remove the opportunity for bacteria or fungus to grow.
If a cage grate is in place remove it and wash with soap and water. Small grates can be put in the bathtub or shower and large ones washed outside. Wetting the grate first will soften the debris so it can easily be removed with a water from a hose.
It's a good idea to wash bird cage perches once a week to remove dirt and waste because wooden perches have cracks and crevices were bacteria can grow. Using a stiff paint scraper is a helpful tool for removing soil.
Pet Bird Toys I put washable toys in the dishwasher and handwash the others. Badly soiled parts are cut away or removed.

Monthly Cleaning

Once a month cleaning bird cages should be done by washing them down with water and a cage cleaner. Since my cages are large I do this task outside using a garden hose. After the water has softened the soil it will be easily removed with the force of the hose. Use a brush to remove any remaining debris and clean the cracks and crevices of the cage, then rinse well. I let the cage dry in the sun which helps disinfect it. Spraying with Pet Focus is a great way to disinfect and it doesn't need to be rinsed off. The cage and perches should dry well before returning them to your bird.

Once you begin this simple schedule you'll find that cleaning bird cages takes only a few minutes a day to insure that your bird cage is a healthy habitat. It could possibly make a difference in the longevity of your bird and will certainly help prevent illness and disease.

Pet Focus is mentioned in this, I have not used this personally. If anyone has heard anything about this along with Poop-off and has used it themselves please tell us about it.
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content