Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pellets, Seed, Sprouts....

+2
Brilliantfids
Ronda
6 posters

Go down

Pellets, Seed, Sprouts.... Empty Re: Pellets, Seed, Sprouts....

Post by Siobhan Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:57 pm

The vet gave Éalú some Harrisons when she was staying in the hospital and she loved them so I bought some which I give to the greys as well. They are very expensive but I just give them a small handful each to complement all the other stuff they get. So one bag should last ages even with 3 of them eating them. I have never heard of TOPS I;m afraid, obviously another one you cant get here Sad
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 pm

I feed my birds Kaytee Exact pellets which they have available all the time. I am thinking of switching to a different brand, something organic and with healthier ingredients- I am currently considering TOPS because I really like the ingredient list. Also thought about Harrison's but I know it is super expensive and the Tops is cheaper but seems just as good to me. (my opinion!)
They also get various fresh fruit, veggies, rice and bean mixtures, seeds, eggs, and bread. This varies according to what I have on hand or what I'm eating. Lyric is particularly spoiled and gets a treat of peanut butter on toast frequently. He goes nuts for this and gets very crabby if I don't give it to him... I know it's probably not that great for him but as I said, he is spoiled.

If anyone has any opinion on TOPS versus Harrison's please let me know!
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:01 pm

My birds get pretty much all the same things except the Eclectus gets a few more additions:
Apples in the AM, dry mixed seed mix, dried fruit, zupreem (Cash gets Birdelicious Eclectus specific with the others, tiny amt of seed)
Mixture in the PM, changes regularly but includes: frozen/fresh veggies, quinoa, wheat pasta, organic sweet potato baby food, occasionally I will make some sugarless cornbread and a nut here and there.
On sundays AM they get scrambled egg whites, and some dry plain multigrain toast w/flax seed (we eat together)
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:37 am

They dont sell pellets here either. I buy Zupreem from a UK website, which Oisin (younger grey) and Beaker (caique) LOVE. Liath isnt bothered, she is on a seed mix, but mostly people food. Anything I eat she will eat, she loves oatmeal, scrambled egg, cooked veggies, would take your finger off for fruit (any kind). I also do sprouts, and a soaked mix of beans, chick peas, lentils, rice etc. which most of them eat.

The budgies eat seed and fruit and they like to play with veggies. Rosie the cockatiel is afraid of everything and will only eat seed mix. She touched a grape once, but only to get it out of her bowl.

Wink
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 238

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:47 am

Yes I forgot to mention about the sprouts mine eats. I buy a 15 bean mix at the grocery store and sprout that. SweetHeart (TAG) absolutely loves this! Her breeder did it for her and had a better variety but here in WV we don't have that many things at our local grocery store. There is a much bigger variety if we go to a big city and buy there, but that only happens maybe once a year maybe twice.

Thanks everyone so far, I had no idea they didn't sell the pellets all over the place. Nice to know not everyone can get their hands on them
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischief Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:14 am

Ronda
Here is SOuth Africa I have not seen these makes of food. I feed Mischief my ring neck a seed mix that I have bought from a bird supplier, it also has some nuts and fruit pieces in it. I have also bought the parrot chillies and fruit mix for MIschief, but I must say it isn';t very popular. I also feed the seed mix that you cook. I give fresh veggies like, lettuce, beans, carrots, tomatoe, sprouts, radish, boiled egg, boiled chicken and fish is small amounts. Mischief also gets fresk fruit like apples, plums, oranges, grapes, melon, mango. Baiscally when I buy and cook I will ensure that there is something for Mischief prepared correctly.

Mischief's favourites are boiled egg, chicken, fish and pasta. Goes bananas for it. When I do frozen mixed veggies I also do some for Mischief which is enjoyed. Doesn't really like banana, parrot dried fruit and the pellets in the seed mix. I have also been taking the beans out of the seed mix and putting it in water to sprout, which Mischief also enjoys.
Mischief
Mischief
No-Stoppin-Me Now
No-Stoppin-Me Now

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliantfids Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:17 am

Oh before i forget the seed that Fawkes gets is Goldenfeast...that stuff smells so good im ALMOST tempted to try a bite!! LMAO!
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliantfids Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:06 am

LOL! Are you sure you want to know?

I feed the conures: Zupreem fruity pellets, a small dish of seed... they like the la'avian brand.

The quaker is on an all seed diet and so is my DYH amazon

Fawkes gets a mix of Zupreem (the non colored), lafebers, harrisons, pretty bird (non colored), and she gets a bowl of seed...umm forgot the brand....its that brand you can cook or serve as it is..lol

Aries eats the fruity Zupreem and the non colored zupreem and the species specific pretty bird (amazon, cockatoo blend) and a SMALL bowl of seed

the lovebirds also eat Pretty bird non colored pellets and some seed

The budgies eat that same brand of seed as fawkes gets...but for budgie size birds..lol, oh and they do eat some zupreem pellets also

the finches/canaries/ and doves get finch seed

Joey the tiel gets la'avian seed

EVERYBODY gets fresh fruits, veggies etc.....
Brilliantfids
Brilliantfids
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Pellets, Seed, Sprouts.... Empty Pellets, Seed, Sprouts....

Post by Ronda Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:17 am

I wanted to see how many people feed different things. Like who feeds what pellets, are they natural and why? And the same for seeds and sprouts. Are they strictly on one diet or the other? Keep in mind this isn't to say what is wrong or right to another person who may have their bird on just a seed diet. The purpose of this post is to see how everyone feeds and what they feed to maybe open a door and tell why the other isn't as healthy as some. It is strictly everyone's opinion and choice on what they feed their birds. Even though some may be healthier than others, please don't bash anyone for how they feed. Just as a person can strictly feed their dogs IAMS doesn't mean that the person who feeds an off brand isn't taking care of their dogs. But I was curious to know what everyone feeds.

I personally feed Zupreem pellets. I leave them in the cage at all times. When they are on the play top I have a seed mix that I bought at Walmart for parrots. I also give them veggies and fruits.

So let it all begin, What do you feed?
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down