Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I'm going to be a granny!

5 posters

Go down

I think I'm going to be a granny! Empty Re: I think I'm going to be a granny!

Post by kimmie_30 Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:22 pm

my friends cockatiel layed eggs and she kick one out the first time and the other two hatch then the second time she kicked both eggs and left one or two so i think you still might have a chance
kimmie_30
kimmie_30
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Well there were 3 eggs in total in the end. I didnt candle them though because they really werent happy about me looking never mind handling. One of the eggs definitely wasnt fertile and they chucked it out of the box today. So they are still sitting on 2. Since the first one wasnt fertile, what are the odds of the other 2 being fertile eggs??

I have had kakarikis breed before, but I gave them to a friend of mine who was a breeder of little birds. At the time I hadnt enough knowledge to look after them and I was terrified. They threw out their first clutch as they hatched. I hope Rosie and Jim are better parents if they do have a little one! Mind you Rosie anyway is much older than the kakariki hen was. Is it normal for the male bird to sit on the eggs most of the time? Rosie takes her turn, but Jim is pretty much always in the box.
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Hello,

You need to candle the egg after 1 week of the egg being layed. A fertile egg will have a web of red veins running through it. If you see that you have a fertile egg. If you look and it is a clear egg with just a yoke then you are not having a baby. You need to know that a hen that is laying wether it is a fertile egg or not needs alot of calcium. Put brocolli,almonds and a cuttle bone in the cage. A teil hen will not only lay one egg at a time. there will be more, one every 3 days. If she only layes one then you can almost bet it is not fertile. A hen will lay a clutch if she is fertile. A clutch is any amount from 2 to 5 eggs. I hope you are now up to speed on a teil hen laying eggs.

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:04 pm

ahh Siobhan is going to be a granny! And at such a young age! That is awesome news girl! Keep us updated!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kimmie_30 Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:54 pm

that is soo good to hear, i just love little babies. and i love cockatiels im really surprised i don't have one, i had one when i was little... they are wonderful birds... keep us posted and when they hatch and get bigger make sure you take some pic for us to see
kimmie_30
kimmie_30
submission happy
submission happy

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:44 pm

So there is definitely at least one egg. I have no idea if it is fertile though! Jim does a little dance and growls at me if I so much as peep in the hole. I will just have to be patient. I'm not very good at patience, I WANT TO KNOW NOW bounce !!!
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyric Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:40 am

Sounds like they have babies on their minds. If they are both being so protective about the nest box then more than likely there is an egg. You should hear a little cheeping when they hatch so keep listening. Congratulations!
Lyric
Lyric
Can't touch this!
Can't touch this!

Female
Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:20 pm

lol, I have no idea Siobhan about how long it takes, but please keep us updated! That is just awesome if they have little ones!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

I think I'm going to be a granny! Empty I think I'm going to be a granny!

Post by Siobhan Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:53 pm

I'm not sure, but my 2 cockatiels are definitely spending a LOT of time in the nesting box. There is always one or other or both of them in there. I tried to take a peek through the opening and they growled at me Sad So I think I should leave them alone. I will know one way or the other in 3 weeks or so anyway won't I!

One things for sure, they are eating for Ireland at the moment Smile
Siobhan
Siobhan
Senior Parrot Lover!
Senior Parrot Lover!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum