Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Baby Soon....Concerned

4 posters

Go down

New Baby Soon....Concerned Empty Re: New Baby Soon....Concerned

Post by Ronda Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:46 pm

The size we got for Casper was this one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-Parrot-cage-Macaw-Cockatoo-African-Grey-Q33-3223-S_W0QQitemZ150234858179QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46289QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I am really happy with it. It has 6 feed bowls all together and pretty roomy for him. If it were one of the bigger Cockatoo's I would say no way, but for him it's perfect. Don't know if you saw his cage or not, I have pics up in here somewhere. I think it's under General Discussion and than Casper's toys I made.

And Yes he is going to be very spoiled lol. It's soo hard not to pick him up lol. He's soo cuddly! and Soft!!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2008-03-11

https://wingsandwisdom.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Hey Ronda,Janice gave me the name of the seller for the cages on ebay,what was the size you got for Casper?And I saw the videos oh boy watch out he looks spoiled ha ha.Thanks

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:28 pm

That's awesome! Hope you at least got some answers and saw how Breeders should be lol. Keep us updated!
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:24 pm

Thank you Janice for giving me call,that was great.I will keep you in touch..Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Ahh Janice that is great could you give me a call so we can talk please.770-531-7805 Thanks so much Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BustersMom Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi JenJen,

I only have two pairs of goffins, a pair of bare eyed's, a pair of congos, and a future breeding pair of timnehs, so I only have a few babies to take care of at a time. The pair that had Casper is due to lay around April 18th. Don't know if you want to wait that long, but my babies are the sweetest you can get (IMO!). I am a stay-at-home mom, so my babies get lots of personal attention (just ask Ronda!). I will try to answer any questions you may have.
BustersMom
BustersMom

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Yes Claire brings up a good point, she does have a bunch of other babies. Now we don't know if she is hand feeding all of them, but my bet is she will at some point and you want time spent with your bird no matter what breed you get. Just makes a better baby when you get it. I can see why she hasn't any time for questions, but for both the breeders I have had they both sent at least weekly updated and pics and any time I had a question they were more than happy to answer. The last breeder I had with our Goffin, Janice was everything you could hope for in a breeder. She was really great. Just keep looking around, but you have to think of the fact that they might not be as social if they have a bunch of them.
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Hey Ronda,Yes she said she has had to do this in the past with other birds.I still do look everyday and will until I put that deposit.Thanks Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Well I checked out the site and with as many babies as she has, I could see why she would get "annoyed" but with as much as you spend on a bird and the amt. of lifetime responsibility that you will be undertaking, I think that a breeder should be very understanding that you would want to know every day how your baby is doing. I wouldn't want a bird from any breeder that didn't feel that they had the time to talk to the new potential owners, I mean buyers are the reason that breeders are in business. Without people to purchase the babies, she would not have a business to run. And with as many as she breeds, how much time do you think that she has to hand raise and socialize your baby?
I bought my eclectus from an aviary in Ohio who bred a large number of birds and I can say that my ekkie was not properly socialized. Not saying that they are all like that, but with that many babies, how much time could she have (not sure if she has employees & such)
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Yes Bustersmom is my breeder. Her name is Janice and she was absolutely wonderful!! She never got annoyed with me and trust me I asked tons of questions lol. She does not have any right now, but she is thinking that they will lay a egg real soon. Her site is

http://thefeatherhut.com/

I couldn't higher recommend anyone! Has this lady never hand fed a Goffin? If she is annoyed with you, than I wouldn't go with her. I know you want a baby like now lol I am the same way, but trust me with all the questions you'll have, this site is good, and me being the owner of it, I am still telling you that getting info off of the one who raised it is the best way! Janice was there from the day he was 2 days old till now and he has been here since Wed. She answers any questions we have. She may joke around with you annoying her lol. But like she said she would rather answer a bunch of questions instead of letting her babies go to someone who had no clue what to expect. If I were you, I would do a little searching around for your baby. I know that can be hard, but you really need a good breeder cause there are soo many things that can go wrong with them when they are babies.
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks Ronda,We are located in North Georgia.My boys leave about 45min after me and no I have no other birds.Do you think I should get a little bird to keep some company?Also you said your friend is a breeder.Does she have a website?I am getting my bird from a breeder Tangos Flock the parents had three babys and stomped two so she pulled little Goff out at two days old and is hand feeding every 90min.She won't let me put a deposit until we are sure he is going to make it.I feel sometimes when I call her to check on him she gets annoyed with me.But I do think of him as mine so I need to check him daily.Thanks so Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronda Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Yes Jenn you guys do! You won't be gone very long during the day and that is a big plus! And the kids probably are still in the house getting ready for school? Or do they leave when you do for work in the morning? If they are home that is even less time he is home by himself. The most important thing is, to make sure he/she will learn how to play! This is a must! Believe me we have only had our baby home since Wed. and it has been soo hard not to just grab him up and play with him all day long cause he just loves loves loves the attention, but if we did that, than he would be dependant on us all the time, and that may sound good at first but when you have to run around and do chores and clean house and just tend to every day things even a sick child if they catch the flu or something, you can't tend to your bird. So it's very important that you leave them be with their toys so they learn how to play with them. And so they aren't always needing you to have that entertainment. Trust me they are very playful, they will still play with you when you have the time to sit with them. But you can't spoil them as soon as you get them home with all kinds of attention cause then they will expect that the whole time.

Do you have any other birds/parrots?
My family is 12 year old daughter, 9 year old son, my hubby and 4 dogs inside, 3 cats and 3 other parrots/bird. So I'm sure that with your twin boys and hubby and even your little 4 year old with supervision will give this little boy/girl the attention that he will need. Just remember try not to get too carried away with the attention at first cause that can make them think they will get it all the time and than you will have the screaming and plucking that goes along with the cockatoo name. If you ease yourself into everything you will make a great family! By coming here and learning all you can and asking any questions you will learn what to expect from them as well! And remember there are no silly questions at all!

And when you read, there are a bunch of people out there that get Cockatoo's and don't realize that once they hit a certain age they are coming into maturity. They can get very nippy at this age and you just have to stick it through. Most people start to ignore their birds at this stage which in turn causes the picking. Like Claire said if you think you can devote a certain amount of time out of your day for this little one than I'm sure you will do just fine. But reading is a good way to learn what you should avoid doing and things that people aren't doing right so you can learn from their mistakes. Claire, Bustersmom, and I are the only ones soo far that have a Goffin, but I'm sure between the three of us we can help you with any questions/concerns.

Where are you located btw?
Ronda
Ronda
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner

Female

Back to top Go down

New Baby Soon....Concerned Empty Thanks...

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 pm

Claire, Thanks so much for responding.I really do feel he will be happy,sometimes I think reading to much is not good because last night I couldn't sleep after everything I read.Thanks again Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:30 pm

I have a Goffin's Too, an Eclectus, and a Sun Conure. I work full time. 8:30 - 5 or 6 - 5 days a week. I also have 6 dogs and a boyfriend whom lives with me. THe birds are out of their cages at a minimum of 3-4 hrs in the evenings per day. Otherwise I will sit and watch tv in "their" room. I feel that if you can make it a priority to give them attention each and every day, then a Goffin would be a fine bird for you. They do require more attention than say...my sun conure as they like to be held and cuddled and petted. But if you feel that you can give them what they need, a Goffin would be a fine bird for you. They can be nippy and will get away with whatever they can, but you can expect that it will take time for them to understand what is acceptable and what is not.
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158

Back to top Go down

New Baby Soon....Concerned Empty New Baby Soon....Concerned

Post by JenJen Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:06 pm

I just noticed the Cockatoo page and have some questions for anyone that can help!!!We are a family of 6, the oldest 18 moved on her own so that leaves us with 4yr old girl,twin boys 13 yr,cat and dog oh yes also my husband.I feel that we have a great family to give to a Goffin,but some things do scare me.I do work from 6:30am to 2:30pm but will be home with my baby after that and with everyone in the house I do feel that Goff would get enough attention.Please help...Do we sound like a good family for our Goff? Thanks Jen

JenJen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down