Wings and Wisdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What tests are necessary at a well bird check up?

2 posters

Go down

What tests are necessary at a well bird check up? Empty Re: What tests are necessary at a well bird check up?

Post by ClaireBear Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Well the AV called with good news! All wbc and rbc counts came back normal. Tested negative for Chlymidia and PBFD! So we can bring the new baby in with no worries about our current fids. Of course he will need the have all the same tests done prior to being introduced to the home, but nonetheless good news!!
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

What tests are necessary at a well bird check up? Empty Re: What tests are necessary at a well bird check up?

Post by ClaireBear Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Well Boo went to the vet this past saturday and had a cbc, blood panel, chlamydia, pbfd, fecal stain, and a chem panel. I opted out of the herpes test although now I think that maybe I should have gotten that as well. I didn't get the DNA sex test. The AV said that he looked great, weighed 280 grams and the fecal stain looked good. I will have the rest of the results next week! Keeping my fingers crossed. Boo didn't seem to mind the visit at all. I was going to have his wings trimmed but once I was there I decided to leave him flighted. Gonna get a harness and see how that goes!
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBear Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks for all of the advice. I have him scheduled for next sat. to get a blood panel, cbc, chlamydia, and well exam. Hope all goes well!!
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:35 am

For the prices your AV said, I would have all of them done.and Like Mario said the DNA is not required but if you want you can get it.
I usually have a complete physical and CBC first and then we go from there with all the other test. With our birds it depends on where the bird came from and what test we do first..
Our prices are much much higher.
A physical, CBC would cost me 129.00
The Chlamydia test alone runs 131.00 but is very well worth it when the bird you just got may have something that can be passed to your other birds...
Chem panel is great when you have older birds, it shows how the liver/kidneys are doing...

When we had gotten our greenwing years ago we were not familiar with all the test and vet needs.
Like most people we were not educated on birds and needs.
Our baby greenwing was 4 months old when we got him.
by the time chewy was 5 months old, he was so sick and paralized on one side from a bacteria infection and metal poisoning.
We learned really quick on what was needed for birds in the medical area.
With alot of meds and alot of work and rehab on chewy, I was able to get him to eat and see on the side that was paralized.
In turn this medical condition that he had gotten todate has effected his heart ( he has a heart mumor) and also it effected his kidneys and liver.

When getting any bird you just dont know what is ticking on the inside, what they look like on the outside is not what is happening on the inside.....
thanks donna

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 am

Hello Clair,

I would do the tests that you think you need. A blood smear test will tel you any infections in the blood stream. The DNA test is an option if you want to know the sex then it is the only way that I do it is through a vet.( I dont like the home tests that you mail in) The largest thing you need to worry about is Polyinoma and if your bird did not get this shot as a chick you mat want to get that shot done. As for all the others if your bird is looking, acting and eating fine then I dont see the reason for all the tests. I am not a vet but I would ask your vet what each test will reveal and make your desishion based on the vets description of what tests are for. I usually tell my vet just give him/her the WORKS and let me find out that there is not major problems or invections. Sexing a bird is not necessary unless you plan on breeding the bird. If the bird is a boy or girl who really cares you will love it the same either way.

Mario
ziggy
ziggy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.blastoffclean.com

Back to top Go down

What tests are necessary at a well bird check up? Empty What tests are necessary at a well bird check up?

Post by ClaireBear Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 am

Hello everyone. I am going to be getting a new baby grey in the next few months and want to get all my current birds to the vet for an annual check up. Mainly I am asking about my goffin's. I have records from the breeders vet that he had been given a clean and neg tests as nec. But he is a year old now and I would like to take him back in. I called my AV and they gave me a list of standard tests and prices and I wanted to see what you guys felt I should get done. When I got my ekkie and the conure I just took them and said "do it all" so I wanted to see what you guys thought of the prices as well as the necessity or some or all (or more different) of the tests. Thanks!!

Full Blood Panel - $22.00
CBC - $30.70
Chem Panel - $62.50
Chlamydia - $43.80
Exam - $48.00
DNA Sexing - $61.40
ClaireBear
ClaireBear

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down